Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 10:31 PM

Default hand vs. grandiose

4 handed 50/100, i open on button with KJo to 333 grandiose calls in BB, HU. grandiose is good LAG doesn't give me much respect (probably thinks i fold to him too much which im ight)

flop is kh th 5s, he c/r me from 600 to 1800, we both started with 10k stacks. thoughts?
Old 04-20-2005, 10:58 PM

Default Re: hand vs. grandiose

have u been stealing his bb, would he check-raise bluff. I mean, I'd think he'd just call with two pair or a set trying to trap. he must know preflop (with his call) that your betting most flops that hit. It's only four handed wouldn't he want to keep you in at least till the turn with hands that bet yours. I think your good here with the info I got.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:19 PM

Obviously the board is very draw heavy board, which leads me to think there is a good chance you have the best made hand at this point. The problem is that a proper reraise will commit you. And I think you can find a lot better spots than this one to play a huge pot. I think I call to see how he acts on the turn.

I'd like to disclaim that I have no idea what the metagame is like at 10/25, let alone 50/100, so take this with a grain of salt.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:28 PM

Meh, not really a lot to go on here. Hasn't been enough betting to define either of your hands (from the other's perspective), and we don't know the history between you two.

A few questions, tho (these seem like the things to think about):

1. Does Grandiose like to c/r his draws?

2. If you call and he checks the turn on a blank, are you betting? If he checks, he still has a wide range. He could be a) done with the hand b) on a draw c) trapping d) hoping for a cheap showdown with his K.

3. If you call and he happens to be bluffing, how often does he make a continuation bluff on the turn? Also, will he "value bet" a weaker hand?

3.5. How much bluff equity does he have here? i.e. how many turn cards are you definitely folding to if he bets?

4. If you 3-bet, is he calling with weaker kings? Or is he folding stronger hands? Seems like your hand is right around the size where he is playing his winners and folding his losers, but I could be wrong.

This seems like a lot, but I'd imagine you have to consider all of this at these stakes. At this point, looks like you call the flop and play some poker. What happened next?

-muz
Old 04-20-2005, 11:29 PM

Has he been checkraising you often when he calls your button raises Preflop? If this is a standard play for him then I would think you'd want to call his raise and see what he does on the turn. If the turn is a blank and he checks to you I would lead out since he may be on a draw. If the turn completes any draws and he checks I would check behind and see what he does on the river. If he leads into you for any substantial amount on the turn I would think you can lay this down because you'll probably end up playing for stacks at that point and I don't think you want to be all in here with KJ.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:05 AM

if that is pokerstars' grandiose he surfs looking for players who will fold a lot to his raising. if he's willing to play you shorthanded for big money you are either playing too timidly or he has changed his tune. also, he may be more aggressive b/c he is obviously on a winning streak to be playing against you there.

welcome to high variance. since he is so aggressive, i would often check that flop and let him hang himself on the turn. as is if it's grandiose in open LAG mode i would raise to $4,500.

he lives near me but we have never met. i have repeatedly tried to get him to play me heads up for $5K live but he has never taken the bait.

matt
Old 04-21-2005, 05:45 AM

Im dumb. Why reraise him instead of call?

-Jason
Old 04-21-2005, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i have repeatedly tried to get him to play me heads up for $5K live but he has never taken the bait.

matt

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression this was the guy who took SR to the cleaners early on. given your enthusiasm for HU against him, i must be wrong, no?

fim
Old 04-21-2005, 09:18 AM

he is very young and inexperienced at live play. my gambit is that will give me a big advantage.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:36 AM

Hey Matt,

When you reraise here, do you intend to call if Grandiose moves all-in, or are you merely "bluffing" that you are pot-committed and intend to fold if he moves in despite the fact that you are representing a big hand? I could see either being correct, depending on the opponent...

Mike