Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 01:12 AM

Default A heads up final table hand.

I posted this in the heads-up forum but was curious what the MTT'ers have to say about it.

Final table of 30+3 3-table tournament. ( I play these when im bored)

We are heads up,I have approx 10K, villian has 20K

some background...

The entire FT this guy has been very weak tight...rarely raising. He had a huge chiplead when it was 10 handed (around 12K) and played the big stack very poorly, allowing me to steal my way up and take out a few players to get heads up with him. My image is very aggressive, I got no cards this tournament and was surviving merely by stealing blinds with crap near the bubble. (thats itm bubble)

In once instance when it was 3 handed the BB was 300, a smallstack had 1K after posting(he was my fav victim stealing from)- I had around 6K, im delt A10o in the sb and plan on pushing the SS in, and he limps. So im thinking great he has a monster.
I fold and he folds to the smallstacks push on the flop, I'm amazed...

basically, i dont think this guy is a thinking player and is playing like hes in a cash game.

I get heads up with him calling the short stacks push with 54s getting 2 to 1..

There is no considerable difference between 1st and 2nd (like 2 buyins), so im lagging it up. Raising almost every other hand, he refuses to put it in the middle PF with me, even when its obvious im raising practically any 2.

Then I get AA, he min raises

what do you do?
Old 04-22-2005, 01:44 AM

Default Re: A heads up final table hand.

he min-raises, so that means he is on the button, right? OK, I don't have a problem waiting for the river to bet this hand. i just hope that he is paying off on the other streets. Have you tried playing back at him before? How has he responded? I imagine that you have folded whenever he has shown strength before.... On the other hand, against this player, I don't need cards to win. Raise all-in, hope he calls, if not <shrug> barring an incredible streak of cards for him (an incredible drought for you won't kill you) You are gonna win. I once had a live HU FT(home game) with a player like this. It lasted 3 hours, much longer than any HU match in the history of our tourneys, but, of course, my raising NE2 PF EVERY HAND eventually won out. The occasional bad beat or payoff didn't really matter much, the result was inevitable. So that's my final answer, put him AI right now, hope for a call.

CSC
Old 04-22-2005, 01:51 AM

is this one of the first times he's raised preflop, or has he minraised on the button and folded to a push from you?
as mlg says, heads up hands are hard to analyze in a vacuum, but from your description of the heads up battle so far, i think you have to push here either preflop or on the flop, depending on how he has treated reraises previously.

how big were the blinds compared to the stacks? I assume if you were pushing a lot preflop, then the blinds (and therefore a min raise) were fairly significant (like 20xBB each or so?)
Old 04-22-2005, 01:54 AM

his folding earlier against the short stack led me to believe he was a straight forward player. I dont think he is capable of bluffing, at least he was never caught that I saw. However when 4 people saw a flop he checked a set (he was in SB with 99) on a 2 flush board with a king on it.

he is relatively straight forward on the flop I thought, i had only played 1 hand against him the entire time until we were HU. He minraised me when i hit mid pair, I folded. He claimed to have a flush draw, which i could imagine.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is this one of the first times he's raised preflop, or has he minraised on the button and folded to a push from you?
as mlg says, heads up hands are hard to analyze in a vacuum, but from your description of the heads up battle so far, i think you have to push here either preflop or on the flop, depending on how he has treated reraises previously.

how big were the blinds compared to the stacks? I assume if you were pushing a lot preflop, then the blinds (and therefore a min raise) were fairly significant (like 20xBB each or so?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Went back to PT, the blinds were 150/300 at that point.

he minraised me twice before this hand, both folding to my AI's.

I think hes the type who would raise any Ace, fold to reraise.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
his folding earlier against the short stack led me to believe he was a straight forward player. I dont think he is capable of bluffing, at least he was never caught that I saw. However when 4 people saw a flop he checked a set (he was in SB with 99) on a 2 flush board with a king on it.

he is relatively straight forward on the flop I thought, i had only played 1 hand against him the entire time until we were HU. He minraised me when i hit mid pair, I folded. He claimed to have a flush draw, which i could imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]

See guys like this are so easy to play. You basically stop paying attention to the cards in your hand. The only time you look down to see what you have is when he calls (or raises) when he is supposed to fold. Given that he rarely shows aggression and has seen you show lots of aggression, I want to try the PF AI. See if he'll bite. If he is a str8-forward AF player, he might not bet again, or he might fold to the first time you put chips in the pot. I try the big push.

CSC

EDIT: just read your next post. That is bad news.... OK, how about a min re-raise here? Play this hand nice and slow, min-betting every round?
Old 04-22-2005, 02:11 AM

ok, given the context, then i like playing this slower preflop. maybe a teaser raise to like 1500.
then play from there.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:22 AM

Seeing as though I've been very aggressive, I was thinking this could be a good time to slowdown, and flat call.

check it to him and let him bet, call. leadout the turn with a smallish bet.

its risky, but I think its the best way to get chips out of such a passive player.

Anyone like this line?
Old 04-22-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seeing as though I've been very aggressive, I was thinking this could be a good time to slowdown, and flat call.

check it to him and let him bet, call. leadout the turn with a smallish bet.

its risky, but I think its the best way to get chips out of such a passive player.

Anyone like this line?

[/ QUOTE ]

My standard line in Limit (here I am again looking to limit) when I believe I have the best hand, and am not sure what my opponents hand, but he is leading and I am out of position; is to chk/call, chk/rz, bet. I feel that this way I am not risking him checking behind on the river with a hand he isn't sure of AND if he is on any kind of a draw (even the perceived over-card draw), he may pay off the turn where he wouldn't pay off on the river. I feel that this is the way to extract the most chips in limit. I play this player AF like a limit game. This keeps betting small so that i can use my aggressive edge over a greater number of hands should variance bite me in the bum in the short run.

CSC
Old 04-22-2005, 11:46 AM

I like the idea of slowing down here. This is a chance to take a large chunk of his stack, and you cant risk that he will fold to the all in like the past two times you reraised his mini raise. Like you said, flat call and let him get himself in trouble on the flop, check and call, then lead in on the turn(1/2-2/3 pot?) This will either take the pot down right away, or will look suspicious and he will play back, either way you will be giving yourself a chance to accumulate chips, where a push preflop could easilly force a fold.