Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 10:40 AM

Default 66 hand - I didn\'t flop a set.

Been a while since I posted a hand. Is this one interesting?

I had 66 three times last night. Didn't flop a set once. wtf? rigged.

Anyway, I decide to "wait for the turn" instead of betting the flop into 4 opponents. Expert play? (are there any turn blanks?)

Then I call-call. Thoughts?

BB is just a bad poker player. 40/5 preflop, loose and predictably aggressive. postflop, weak in general - likes to bet into displays of weakness often but will slow down to aggression immediately.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls, SB folds.

River: (4.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB
Old 04-21-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Re: 66 hand - I didn\'t flop a set.

I'm having a hard time figuring out why you wouldn't bet this flop with your position... if a bad card comes, just check it on the turn. A bet right now could even pick up this pot or get it heads-up.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm having a hard time figuring out why you wouldn't bet this flop with your position... if a bad card comes, just check it on the turn. A bet right now could even pick up this pot or get it heads-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

good point. my "thought" process at the time was - "wait and bet a non-diamond turn blank". at the time, i thought my equity would be either much high or much lower based on the turn card's diamondness.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:52 AM

I'm betting this flop.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:59 AM

why?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:18 AM

Because u have second pair and could drive som opponents out and maybe get headsup action. But i dont blame u for checking any overcards is a scary card and if many ppl call ur not likly to win. Reads on the table is often important in this situations. If they have a habit of calling i would check, if u feel u can drive them out, do so.

GL // Dunno
Old 04-21-2005, 11:20 AM

I would bet the flop as well.

1. There's a pretty good chance you're ahead, but your hand is ultra-vulnerable. There are very very few "good" cards that can come on the turn. You want to fold out everybody you possibly can right now, becase darn near everyone is sitting on two overcards to your pair.

2. Who's to say somebody is on the flush draw? I'm more worried about overcards than the flush.

3. A diamond turn card is bad on two levels. If somebody was on the flush draw, they obviously just outdrew you. More subtlely, though, somebody with a big diamond might well fold the flop for one bet, but now you can't get them out on the turn. They have more outs against you than they probably realize, so you really want to take the opportunity to lose them on the flop.

I'm inclined to bet the flop, bet the turn, and take a free showdown if offered.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:22 AM

meh. i think all you people have convinced me.
should have bet that flop.

small pairs be my weakness. yarrrr.

now, how do we feel about the call down??
Old 04-21-2005, 11:27 AM

Well i think i would called it down but dont be suprised if he shows a 5 for trips. He wokend up at the turn and could think hes 5s is good and then get lucky at the river.

GL // Dunno
Old 04-21-2005, 11:30 AM

After the flop gets checked through, BB could be betting a *very* wide range of hands. (A weak T, any 5, any 2, any pocket pair, A-high, total bluff, etc). I think you're getting enough overlay from the pot to call down.

Not to beat a dead horse, but if you bet the flop this is probably easier. You can pitch this to aggression after you show some strength on the flop.