Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 06:07 PM

Default A big key to why the big name poker(tournament) players do so well!

Have you ever wondered what seperates the big name players from the rest? It makes me laugh when i hear how these big name players are so great. People think they are out of everyone's league. That they are invincible. That they can read people unbelievably. I believe it to be a load of bull. You want to know what seperates these guys? Here it is. They play with less fear! They know either because of good financial situation or backing that there will always be another big tournament around the corner. So there is no fear of being knocked out and losing this huge opportunity. That otherwise good poker players(some of which probably post here) are hindered with. The non big name players usually are not rich and the money means alot to them. So there strategy throughout a tournament involves looking to move up the ladder at some point. Where the big name players have no worries. They can play another tourney for 1 million + in a few weeks or a month almost all year aorund now. So they can go for it. This is a HUGE advantage. For anybody to deny this is silly. Btw notice some not so great poker players who also have done well in big nl tournies. Noel furlong, Brian Haveson, Barry Shulman for 3. Why have they done well? Because they are rich! Because the money is not life changing or will not hinder them from playing other big nl events. Just as is the case with the big name players. Now i'm not saying all big name players dont play well. My point being that if other good(meaning alot of people that do well in smal buy in tournies) tourney players were given the fortunate situation of being in the big name players position they would become known big name players as well. How does one get into a situation like this? Well either your rich. Or you can take shots in big tournies through satelites and hope to pull one big score off. Which is very hard for the reasons i mentioned(but certainly possible). Or you can make friends with big name and rich people in the poker world and they would start giving you shots unitl you pulled something big off. But this is a little demeaning as you look like, or are a railbird for awhile. Look at Dan N. he struggled for years on the tour but made friends that helped him out until he finally had his breakout year. If not for these people and Dan. N. lack of caring of being a broke person we may have not known this big name poker player. Also big name poker players get to play so many big nl tournies that they gave some good experience in them. An opportunity the otherwise good poker tournament players don't have. Anyway this is the big key imo. There isn't alot that seprates someone such as a Dan N from a good middle limit tourney player other than his fortunate situation. And experience he's gained by being in that fortunate situation. Finally the truth is being told!
Old 04-19-2005, 06:11 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: A big key to why the big name poker(tournament) players do so well!

Very valid points. I think another thing to consider is that most of the tournies that we average joes can buy into feature much faster rounds and wind up requiring more luck and less skill because the blinds/antes are increasing at a feverish pace.

Playing a tourney where blinds/antes don't move up every 15 minutes, but instead every 90 minutes is a BIG difference. And when you're starting off with deep stacks, you can take a hit or make a raise and not commit the majority of your starting stack and risk going out on just one hand.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:13 PM

Yes, i agree 100 percent!
Old 04-19-2005, 06:23 PM

Default They discovered the paragraph? N/M

N/M
Old 04-19-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: A big key to why the big name poker(tournament) players do so well

Finally, you post something that has some truth to it.

Remember though, that alot of the players GOT rich by being great players. Most of them, really. Some may not be from tournies specifically, but being great at side games obviously has more than a little correlating value.

This is a phenomena that has been known for quite a while, btw.

Dan N's struggles had more to do with outside forces by most accunts. Few have ever doubted his poker ability.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:58 PM

good post.

can we start using paragraphs please?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:05 PM

the fact that not so good palyers do not make the right play for whatever reason, means they are not so good. the best players make the right play regardless of other considerations. if you dont do this, there is little hope of outperforming great players.
besides the best players make more right decisions than others. it is a fact.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:07 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
the fact that not so good palyers do not make the right play for whatever reason, means they are not so good. the best players make the right play regardless of other considerations. if you dont do this, there is little hope of outperforming great players.
besides the best players make more right decisions than others. it is a fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I certainly agree with this, the points mentioned in this thread I feel are valid as well. Some schmoe who might never again get a shot to play in a large, high-paying main event, is likely to be more conservative and try to squeek into the money (being happy to win 40-60 grand for 10K investment) than a pro, who isn't going to be happy unless they make at least the top 3, and in many cases 1st place.

The people with little worry financially are able to make more agressive plays and not be as concerned about losing, because they can just go play another main event next month.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:06 AM

EXCELLENT post smoothcall. I agree with you a 100%. YOU HIT IT RIGHT ON THE BUTTON. You should also add the fact that if you know your opponent is less inclined to gamble, you'll own him/her. At least that's my current philosophy [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. Gotta love NL holdem tourneys!!
Old 04-20-2005, 08:49 AM

Smooth,
Not what I was expecting, fantastic post.