Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 12:24 PM

Default 1600 posts and I don\'t still know anything (little content)

Hey guys,

I've reached 1600 posts, read a bunch of books and posted many hands, and I don't feel like I've gone as far as I could have during this time.

I do want to thank the people that have helped me get this far though.

For the official record, my winrate is 2 to 3/100 on party's .5/1, I get the snot beat out of me at 2/4 and 3/6, and I figure probably 1/3 of my advice is accurate (which is super-sweet compared to a few months ago).

The point of this is to say that post-count doesn't indicate skill, as SCFuji, Isura, IStewart and a few others have all shown that they're really strong, improving players, and have smaller post counts than I.

Hopefully with some work I can catch up to them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

--Dave.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: 1600 posts and I don\'t still know anything (little content)

nice post. fuji is a noob though.

(jk, u know i love you fuji [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
Old 04-20-2005, 01:51 AM

do you have the same alias on party?

Up 15bb/100 over 116 hands for hicherbie3... eagle player.... nh!
Old 04-19-2005, 12:30 PM

What do you think the biggest problems in your game are?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh shit, sir! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Um... tough to say, as I've been playing a lot of NLHE lately.

However, to start with a few:

1) I don't play PF like Miller. I'm generally a little tighter and more passive.

2) Flop play seems to be a big hole in my game, specifically, I call too much (though I maintain 2.5-3.5 aggression on this street).

3) I'm calling too much on the river when there's only 7-8bb in the pot.

4) I never slowplay.

5) I've been screwwing up a lot of hand-reading, at least, in the forum.

6) I'd like to learn more of the math of the game: memorizing pot odds and flop to river odds.

7) I'd like to know more about my odds of hitting different types of flops based on my hands.

8) I'd like to know how strong my hands are in relation to my opponents' potential starting holdings, and know equities that different hands have against eachother.

9) I'd like to work out my effective odds as well as implied odds rather than just pot and implied odds. With different numbers of callers, raises, etc.

It goes on. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

These are things I can work on, for sure.

It's just a matter of time and effort.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh shit, sir! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Um... tough to say, as I've been playing a lot of NLHE lately.

However, to start with a few:

1) I don't play PF like Miller. I'm generally a little tighter and more passive.

2) Flop play seems to be a big hole in my game, specifically, I call too much (though I maintain 2.5-3.5 aggression on this street).

4) I never slowplay.

6) I'd like to learn more of the math of the game: memorizing pot odds and flop to river odds.

7) I'd like to know more about my odds of hitting different types of flops based on my hands.

8) I'd like to know how strong my hands are in relation to my opponents' potential starting holdings, and know equities that different hands have against eachother.

9) I'd like to work out my effective odds as well as implied odds rather than just pot and implied odds. With different numbers of callers, raises, etc.

It goes on. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

These are things I can work on, for sure.

It's just a matter of time and effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta admit, I must commend you on your introspection. At least you know what you need to work on! Knowing what you don't know is a good thing, a lot better than not knowing what you don't know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hanging out in HUSH and playing 1/2 6m could help this.

[ QUOTE ]
4) I never slowplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is anyone's biggest problem. If you never slowplay, you leave very little behind. I wouldn't worry about this just now.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of memorizing tables, you should be working on computing these things on the fly, as you need them.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Small problem at worst. Slowly add more hands as you are comfortable.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's an example of what you call that isn't right? This flop AF seems healthy.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Small problem or non-problem. If you are getting to the river a lot with 7-8BB and fold here, then you've got something to worry about. You'd be either going to the river too often, or folding too much on the river.

[ QUOTE ]

4) I never slowplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Non-problem at 0.5/1.0 unless you're at the 2+2 table.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a technique that was on Abdul Jalib's web site that I use and doesn't require me to remember almost anything. It's an exact formula too, not an approximation.

What you do is:
Count your effective outs, call this O
Figure out the pot odds, i.e., money already in the pot divided by amount you have to call, call this P
If O*(P+1) is greater than the number of unseen cards (47 when calling to see the turn and 46 when calling to see the river), then you have the odds to stay. If it's less than the number of unseen cards, you don't have the odds.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This helps with hands like pocket pairs, suited cards that you wouldn't play if they weren't suited and blind play. Good to learn.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

www.pokerstove.com No substitute for working these out yourself. This is a great exercise and you'll learn a lot about hold'em, especially the concept of domination.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. Fortunately, all of these are small as is corroborated by your win rate. Start with number 6 and you'll start being more clear about your drawing hands (this especially helps with overcards).
Old 04-19-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a technique that was on Abdul Jalib's web site that I use and doesn't require me to remember almost anything. It's an exact formula too, not an approximation.

What you do is:
Count your effective outs, call this O
Figure out the pot odds, i.e., money already in the pot divided by amount you have to call, call this P
If O*(P+1) is greater than the number of unseen cards (47 when calling to see the turn and 46 when calling to see the river), then you have the odds to stay. If it's less than the number of unseen cards, you don't have the odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to try this - thanks. Sounds especially easy for .5/1.
Pot odds = Pot size
Old 04-19-2005, 03:02 PM

Yeah I like it and it's pretty easy. Probably not as fast as memorizing a table, but I do math fast in my head, so it works for me and I can come up with the decision for any situation regardless of the number of outs (even use half outs, e.g. 1.5 whereas with a table you have to interpolate).

If the pot size is $4 and you have to call $1, your pot odds are 4 and your number of outs.. say for a flush draw on the river, are 9...

9*5 = 45 which is just short of 46 for the call. But remember that you might get an extra bet on the river if you catch. You also might get beat when you get the flush beat by a higher flush or be drawing dead if the board is paired. There's also rake so the pot odds aren't truly 4 to 1. More like 3.5 to 1.

Most of the time, I tend to just say "these things all wash each other out" and play with the true odds that I calculate. This give me some structure to my calls and gives me some frame of reference that's fast even if it isn't exact. 90% of the time the decision are clear after you do a little math. If the decision is within a card or two of the number of unseen cards, I then tend to use player consideration, e.g., will I get extra bets if they are aggressive. It also keeps me alert and confident at the table.