Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 04:56 PM

Default A hand from my recent vegas trip

Ok, so I'm reading my live play journal today from my trip last week and I come across this hand that happend my 2nd night at the Mirage. Most of the hands I was going to post were pretty straightforward, so I didn't bother, but this one is interesting I think (mostly because it makes me look like a donkey). Whatch think?

Mirage 20/40.

SB is a vegas regular, and its the 2nd day we've played together. He's a crafty TAG, and seems to be well known. He moved immediately to my left as soon as the seat opened, and I'm sure it did it because of me.

BB is a weak/tight vegas local.

c/o is posting both blinds. She is a vegas "pro" and has been for the last 16 years (as she tells it, and she enjoyed chatting with her neighbors). She is TAG, and is capable of making selected moves.

I'm on the button.

Its folded to c/o who checks her option. I raise on the button w/ 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

The SB calls, the BB folds. 3 to the flop.

Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to me and I bet. Sb calls and the c/o mucks. Heads up.

Turn:

J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Sb checks and I bet. He check-raises.

What do you all think of the turn bet? How many of you check this turn? What do you do after the turn c/r. I'll see if I get any responses, then I'll finish up the hand.

Thanks,

lf
Old 04-21-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: A hand from my recent vegas trip

I would have checked behind on the turn there for sure. SB sounds like the type to be pulling a cr and even if it's some kind of a bluff, he almost certainly has your 9 high beat.

When I have a nice draw that wants to see the river, feel it unlikely the opponent will fold to a turn bet, and don't want to pay a raise, it makes sense to check.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:14 PM

I wasn't sure what he'd do, but I was sure he wouldn't call again. I thought it was about 50/50 that he would c/r or fold (just seeing if I'd bet again). Given that, a bet seemed correct.

lf
Old 04-21-2005, 08:08 PM

I hate the PF raise.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:42 PM

fold preflop. Not even close.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:03 PM

Based on your preflop raise, I can see why this seasoned vet took the seat to your left. Forgive my judgement but it seems as if you are a fairly loose player by this button raise.

Regarding the trun I would check it. You need a spade or your done so might aswell try to get it for free.

The bigger point is that the bet on the flop could have given the impression that you were playing the jacks and needed to take it down right there. With the check on the turn he may see it as you showing strength, because you seem to be a loose player and normally bet at pots, leaving you in a better position on the river. forgive my accusations of you being a playing loose just seems to be the case for this hand at least comments always welcome
Old 04-21-2005, 09:12 PM

I'm far from being a loose player (16% VPIP online). I am, however, hyper sensitive to position, and when playing live even more sensitive to situations.

I honestly thought there was a reasonable chance of picking up the pot with the PFR, or else I wouldn't have done it.

It was clear that the c/o had absolutely no interetst in this hand, or she would have raised. The BB had been folding his BB all night (weak tight as noted in OP), and the only question mark was the SB, but seeing as how it was his SB, I thought there to be a reasonable chance for him to fold as well.

[ QUOTE ]
With the check on the turn he may see it as you showing strength, because you seem to be a loose player and normally bet at pots, leaving you in a better position on the river

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet this turn w/ any jack in my hand, and expect to get called by anybody that was going to call anyway. If I check this turn, its because I'm done with the pot, and any attentive player would know that.

[ QUOTE ]
forgive my accusations of you being a playing loose just seems to be the case for this hand at least comments always welcome

[/ QUOTE ]

No apology necessary. 93s certainly isn't a group I hand, but I play situations in a live game, not just my own hand, and this seemed like a good spot to try and steal.

lf
Old 04-21-2005, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the PF raise

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? check out my reply to the post below this one and let me know what you think, ok?

lf
Old 04-21-2005, 09:15 PM

I'm really surprised that against a tight field, and 1.5 extra SB's in the pot, and the button that nobody else here would take a shot at this pre-flop.

lf
Old 04-21-2005, 10:36 PM

I think it's OK to take a shot at the blinds with at least some kind of hand.....but 93s? You said only one player was weak tight, while the other two players were decent....I think good players realize that the button could raise with many hands there. The CO probably would have called you had the SB not called. At least give yourself a chance if you get action.

So...you raised preflop with junk. Then you spewed chips post flop (check the turn, fold to river bet if you miss). I think that's the worst of both worlds...but, I'm not playing as high limit as you, so I could be all wet.