Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 07:04 PM

Default won WSOP seat on party....need advice

I am relative novice ,but was lucky enough to win seat at WSOP on Party and would like advice on what books are best on NL tourmanent play. Also how important to play online vs live tournaments to prepare....thanks
Old 04-18-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: won WSOP seat on party....need advice

. . . . . . Read Harrington on Hold'em & Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by David Sklansky.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:47 PM

Yes....those are the books to read.

Congrats btw.

I think you can benefit from both online and live play to prepare for the big event (although I've never played it).

When I won my seat on the PPM IV cruise I played a ton of online-tournaments for about a month to prepare and found it to be a great help.

I played anything from 20 player to 400 player tourneys (or bigger) ranging from $10 to $100 buy-in's pretty much.
I wasn't picky...I just wanted to get more and more comfortable working my way around in tournaments.

If you don't have much live experience you would be wise to get some before you go.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:11 PM

congrats!

I'd offer you some books to study, but since you're a novice, I have a better piece of advice for you:

you aren't going to learn how to play great NL hold'em in a month and a half, no matter how much you play and study.

You might get pretty good, but you'll still be a huge underdog against almost any other player there.

So...I think you should play David Sklansky's system. I know it's in one of his books, and I'm sure you can find it by doing a search on here.

Basically, it tells you to fold everything but AA,KK,QQand AK - and push with those. But there's more to it. He advocates it as a great way to short circuit "expert play" against you.

I'm sure someone else on here can point you to the appropriate link.

good luck!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:29 PM

it's in tournament poker for advanced players.

but...i think even as a novice i'd not use it.

no fun.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:36 PM

If you don't have live experience it will be a huge benefit leading up to the event. Just in terms of sitting in the chair, following the action, handling chips, keeping pace with the game.

Best of luck,
Have a blast!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:39 PM

Dude, this guy may be a beginner, but he won a freakin satellite to get into the WSOP, so he must be at least okay. Sure, most of the players in the main event are pros and much better and/or more experienced, but still...

I think recommending that strategy to him is an insult.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:44 PM

Yeah i played on the internet before i played live mainly since I was 17, and I allowed this dude to read me by answering a question he asked me....DONT ANSWER questions.This might sound stupid, but if youve never played live before, you will do something stupid(and No, his question wasn't "bryce, what do you have?", it was subtle.In general the internet is better practice i think, but you need to play in a couple of live tournies too.- sincerely confused bryce
Old 04-18-2005, 08:55 PM

Books, I don't know. Advice, don't have any. But I found a shirt you can wear

Old 04-18-2005, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have played a fair amount of limit poker, new to NL, tourny play. One of main leaks is playing hands with a "limit" mentality not taking into account relative stack, progression in tourny,etc. Practiced mainly on sng before winning satallite. Thanks again