Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Hmmmm, AKs

Opponent is a loose passive player

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO folds, SB folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (7 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero ???.

Final Pot: ?? BB
Old 04-17-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Hmmmm, AKs

call. lose. move on to next hand.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:02 PM

This is interesting. If he is a Lag, he is probably slowplaying a monster. If he is passive, he might have done the same. So personally, I would simply call. T9 or a set or two pair are all possible. You will most likely win at least 1/11th of the time to make the call profitable. I don't think re-raising this is +ev though. There is a lower chance you are winning, but good enough to call. Thats my take. If I'm wrong, kick me.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:02 PM

I think you're probably beaten here.

I'm guessing he has 10-9s, or (less likely) some ragged 2 pair like K-8 or J-8. I don't think you can fold this on the river, but I don't think you can raise either. Looks like a crying call to me, but I could be very wrong.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:06 PM

Yea just call, you can't fold you have top pair top kicker, maybe he got lucky on you. Definatly do not reraise.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:11 PM

All correct. I called, he showed 10/9d staying in with the backdoor flush/straight then the double belly buster on the turn.

call, lose and go on to the next hand!
Old 04-17-2005, 02:13 PM

Yeah, you are probably beat [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], but I think you should call. He may still be bluffing and you don't need people taking shots at you on the river. Just a quick question, what was your table image like, and had you previously folded to a raise on the river? If you had, it increases the likelihood if a bluff.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:19 PM

I think it's an easy call. UTG may have hit 2 pair or a straight. Given what I've seen lately on 1/2, I wouldn't be surprised to see him with a slowplayed set. Of course, I've also seen an unusual number of slowplayed top pairs on 1/2 lately. So maybe he has KQ. (Yeah, right.)

By the way, I play on Poker Stars, so maybe the dynamics are different there.

But anyway, I think you lose here more often than 10 times in 11. That said, raising is out of the question and folding may be correct from an EV standpoint. But I still think you should call because you don't want to encourage people to bluff raise you on the river.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:20 PM

My table image during that session? Running bad and bloody. Lost every hand with AA, AKs, AK, AQ you name it. Biggest win on that table for me was a monster I flopped with J3 off suit in the BB.

Everybody was drawing out on my good hands. Fortunately, that only lasted for 10,000 hands or so and I'm gaining back some of my self respect [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2005, 02:55 PM

Grunchin it up....

Call the river. You're good here 1 time in 10.

If you fold here then it will encourage fish to take shots at you by bluff-raising.

Send them a message that you won't be bullied off hands.