Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Matt Matros Ajs hand revisited. Where do you draw the line?

In another thread it was discuused that matt Matros was knocked out with Ajs. then there was some discussion about whether this is a good call preflop. I felt it was a bad call. Then Matt came on and said something about how you can't just wait for monsters. And it brought me to this dicussion. So here goes.

While i agree with Matt that you can, and probably should on occasion, in some spots play inferior holdings early in big nl tournies to hope to make some big hands and accumulate chips. My question is this. Where do you draw the line? As you can make the argument that since your so deep in chips, and hopefully smart enough to get away from flops that are not what you were looking for. And the blinds being small in relation. That almost any 2 cards can be played. So where do you draw the line? Assuming your not getting pot odds on the hand. And would it better to call with say a 67s as opposed to an Ajs. As the Ajs could be dominated by a bigger ace or bigger pair the 1010's. Granted the 67s could be up against a bigger pair as well. But the 67s would be easier to get away from if only flopping one of your pair. As opposed to the Aj where flopping an ace or j will cost you some for sure. If your good enough you will be able to get away from it but still should tend to cost more to find out where your at.

So basically what i'm asking is if you can make the argument that you can call with Ajs because your deep in chips and the blinds are low. Then what hands can't be played here? Is a 23s better to call with there than Ajs? As if he has an over pair if you hit your hand you have better chance to break him if it came say 225. Where as your opponent would be more careful if it came jj5 or AA5 and you raised at some point in the hand.

In my personal opinion i think the line should be drawn here. It you are up against a good opponent or better. These all should be mucks. As good players it will be less likely to give you there chips postflop. And if against a really bad player. One who can go off for alot of chips, there may be no line. As i can see making a justification for plaing many more hands given the right situtaion.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-21-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Matt Matros Ajs hand revisited. Where do you draw the line?

well vinnie it's a tough question.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:58 PM

I think your question is valid.

I think you are really asking for trouble calling raises with a hand like AJs. A lot of the time, even if you do manage to slither away from a situation in which you are dominated, you have lost a good chunk of chips.

On the other hand, there are plenty of players who thrive on this sort of play, and who fare pretty well doing it.

If you have to call a raise with AJs, you really want to have position. Often, when considering a very borderline call like this, the final determining factor that gets my cards into the muck is being out of position (or, for that matter, chips into the pot if I DO have position).

But I really don't think that anyone could say you were playing terrible poker if you absolutely NEVER called a raise with this hand in this situation.

Ultimately, I think what you've been saying (in that very special way you have of saying things) is not far off-base.

But I'd like to take it one step further and say that there is no shame in folding, unless you have painted a target on your forehead by mucking 95% of your hands (in which case, you're gonna need to occasionally take a flop like the one described).

I would never, however, go out of my way to play a headsup pot with 67s for a raise.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:56 PM

Such tight-weak crap.. Maybe you can't play AJs after the flop but I have a feeling Matt can.

Stick to cash games..
Old 04-21-2005, 11:37 PM

AJs with position against someone who is opening a ton of pots is way too much hand to fold. The end.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AJs with position against someone who is opening a ton of pots is way too much hand to fold. The end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I had forgotten about the raiser's recent aggressive open-raising.

I want to change my answer to what tpir90036 said.

That's right. What he said.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:26 AM

Where can I find this hand?
Old 04-22-2005, 01:00 AM

"from wpt championship blog" by rushmore