Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 05:16 PM

Default How do I fix Tight-Passive

I just got Poker Tracker to help me improve my game. I was making pretty good money at .25-50 tables. Then I ready SSHE and moved up to .50-1. I got a lot of bad beats, but I also know a run of 250BB's can't be all a run. I have chalked it up to not really understanding why I am doing the things that SSHE suggests, just that I am supposed to do these things. I would like to discuss some of the concepts in the book so that you experienced players can help me. I will start with my style. PT has identifiec me as a Tight Passive. My goal is to be the tight agressive player that I know is best and SSHE and HEFAP suggests. How/What do I need to do to understand what is making me passive and what I can do to join the ranks of the agressive? Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: How do I fix Tight-Passive

The first thing is make sure you're not including pre-flop numbers in your Aggression calculation.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:27 PM

OK, I will. As far as post flop play, what does the passive indicate? Am I not raising enough with second pair (which is a concept I don't completely understand)?
Old 04-15-2005, 05:30 PM

Raising with second pair is a concept that's difficult to apply correctly. I'd first look and see if you're pumping your flush draws and OESD's, and then not pussing out right away when you have TPGK+.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I will. As far as post flop play, what does the passive indicate? Am I not raising enough with second pair (which is a concept I don't completely understand)?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could probably never raise middle pair and still be labelled as Tight-Aggressive. You raise aggression by -

1. Raising/betting made hands
2. Raising/betting strong draws
3. Folding when you don't have the pot odds to continue
Old 04-15-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got Poker Tracker to help me improve my game. I was making pretty good money at .25-50 tables. Then I ready SSHE and moved up to .50-1. I got a lot of bad beats, but I also know a run of 250BB's can't be all a run. I have chalked it up to not really understanding why I am doing the things that SSHE suggests, just that I am supposed to do these things. I would like to discuss some of the concepts in the book so that you experienced players can help me. I will start with my style. PT has identifiec me as a Tight Passive. My goal is to be the tight agressive player that I know is best and SSHE and HEFAP suggests. How/What do I need to do to understand what is making me passive and what I can do to join the ranks of the agressive? Thanks for your help in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude. Welcome to the forum. I'm glad to see you have a desire to improve your game but this is way too broad a subject. Going from tight passive to tight aggressive is the subject of practically every thread in this forum. Anybody can tell you bet, raise fold more call less but the trick is doing it without spewing $$ from every orafice in your body. Your username bodes well as you will need to be quite a 2+2 junky over the next few months to accomplish what you are trying to accomplishh successfully. Good luck.

Post your thoughts in existing threads for a while. It will help get you in tune with the rest of the forum.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't mean to be too broad, just beginning to learn Micro-Limits. I am a good NL player, but have a lot of work to do on Limit. I guess I will just jump into the forums and get lit up by people in response to my poor play. Only way to learn I guess. I have and read a lot of 2+2 books, and have been spending a lot of time reading the forum. My latest trip of a losing month made me realize I have a lot of work to do.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The first thing is make sure you're not including pre-flop numbers in your Aggression calculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? Will have to change that right away in my ratings settings...