Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Couple of suited connector hands

Converter was doing odd things to these, so manually entering them. My thoughts on each hand are at the very bottom for spoilers, but actual results will follow later.

Hand 1:

Fairly passive table at .25/.50 I'm in MP with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and limp. Total of 5 limpers when the big blind min-raises to $1. We all call except for the small blind which inexplicably folds.

5 to the flop of T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
$5.50 in the pot.

BB($15) bets out $2, and first limper($21) raises to $5. Action is on you. The other 2 limpers behind me have only $8 and $11 respectively. You have everyone covered. What's the plan?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hand 2:

Another fairly passive .25/.50 table.

UTG ($50) min raises to $1.
one caller to me in MP with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] -- I call as well, with $30 behind me.
2 additional callers.

5 see the flop of J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
$5.25 in the pot.

UTG bets out $2. next guy calls as well. I call, other 2 guys fold.

Turn 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
$11.25 in the pot.

UTG bets out $2.
Other guy calls
I call.

River 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
$17.25 in the pot.

UTG bets $20.
Other guy folds.
I mull it over for a while and call.

Thoughts?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thoughts on both hands...

Hand 1: I have no illusions I'm ahead here, the raiser either has top pair with a better kicker, 2 pair, or maybe a set. With no big stacks behind me I didn't have to worry about it being re-raised huge and getting blown off my hand. I thought about pushing here, but it's a classic case where only a better hand is going to call me and their stacks were not big. So I called, realizing most likely the original better just calls and closes the action.. but if he raises all in and the 2nd guy calls, then I must call and I'm getting a decent price vs the range of hands here.

Hand 2:

This was my last orbit around the table before leaving, felt I was getting a little tired and I have 2 leaks on my last orbit around the table that I'm aware of and trying to avoid -- playing too many hands, and not wanting to get all-in and losing my stack.

For whatever reason I get fears of flush over flush. I had no clue what UTG had for the min-raise before the flop and a quizzical bet on the flop, but I was afraid to raise it there and get put all-in. The caller in-between discouraged that as well.

On the turn I presumably picked up a few outs. I'm not sure if I should be raising here, or just taking the draw that I'm priced in for.

On the river.. well, now what? Did he min-raise A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or some other A-big of diamonds and just hit as well? Why such a massive bet all of a sudden? Does he have it, or is representing it? It's been a fairly passive table and I haven't been impressed with some of the crap they have been showing down... the usual stuff like betting A9 on a AQT76 board with 3 to a suit all the way.

Is this a reasonable fold, or call? For obvious reasons, raising isn't an option.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Couple of suited connector hands

Hand 1: flat call
Pushing won't get anyone out, and I'd prefer to hit my hand before getting my chips in. The original raiser probably won't reraise, but if he does, consider that you might have only flush outs and play pot odds from there.

Hand 2: flat call
You just can't fold this. Yes, he might have flushed over you but there are a variety of other hands that do this, ranging from top pair hands to sets to total bluffs. Especially since you said
[ QUOTE ]
It's been a fairly passive table and I haven't been impressed with some of the crap they have been showing down..

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not laying that down. However, I also wouldn't reraise because to do so is basically to go all in, and most hands that you beat will fold.

Your intuition was pretty good on these, so I think you made the right moves.

-Kings
Old 04-16-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not laying that down. However, I also wouldn't reraise because to do so is basically to go all in, and most hands that you beat will fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hero has like 6 dollars left. The pot, if hero calls, will be like 58. If you're going to call, you have to assume villain will call the last bit with almost everything (except a total bluff)

if you really believe villain has a total bluff much more often then another hand which will call and lose, and another hand which will call and win, then fine, just call, but I think you may as well stick it in htere.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Hero has like 6 dollars left. The pot, if hero calls, will be like 58. If you're going to call, you have to assume villain will call the last bit with almost everything (except a total bluff)

if you really believe villain has a total bluff much more often then another hand which will call and lose, and another hand which will call and win, then fine, just call, but I think you may as well stick it in htere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops, didnt realize the hero only had 30 to start the hand. Thought he had the villain covered with over 50. So in this case yes I push the river (which is basically calling, plus 6 bucks).

-Kings
Old 04-16-2005, 03:21 PM

That's a good point, and not something I thought about at the time. I saw the $20 bet and my first thought was well, if he had the flush as well, I would look pretty stupid raising now wouldn't I? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Results

Hand 1:

As I stated at the bottom, I called the $5 figuring it was very likely the BB just calls as well.

Turn was 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] , giving me my flush.
(~$20 in the pot now)
BB checked, and the flop raiser bet $6. I figured I'd stick him in for the rest of his stack ($10), so I raised him enough to put him all-in. He called, river was a blank, and he showed T7, MHIG for $50. Turned out my 3 jacks were outs too.

~~~~~~~

Hand 2:

After convincing myself I have to call this (to be honest I was really confused with how UTG had played this hand), I finally clicked call.

Imagine my surprise when UTG showed A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I gladly took the $57 and pondered how someone could play aces worse. That was the LAST hand I expected there.