Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Interesting hand from the B 30/60

Player 1 has K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], player 2 has A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], player 3 has K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

All 3 players are good aggressive thinking players and should know that about each other if they don't. They've been having several discussions about what players had etc. and earlier there was a several minute discussion about a hideous play by a weak player(who had since left the game) who checkraised a last position better in a 6 or 7 handed pot with 54 on a Q44 flop, facing the whole field with two cold.

Folded ot Player 3 in the CO who raise (5 handed game) Players 1 and 2 callin the SB and BB respectively.

flop is K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Player 1 checks, Player 2 checks, Player 3 bets, Player 1 raises, Player 2 3bets, Players 3 and 1 call.

turn is J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Player 1 checks, Player 2 bets, Players 3 and 1 call.

river is J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Player 1 bets, Player 2 folds, Player 3 raises, Player 1 calls.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Interesting hand from the B 30/60

I think the most interesting play here is Player 2's check 3-bet on the flop. If he's trying to represent a K, he should cold call the flop and raise the turn.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's trying to represent a K, he should cold call the flop and raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but the check 3 bet ain't too shabby if he's going to continue. If OP hadn't posted their hands, what would you have guessed for the BB, Player 2's hand based on the flop?

Q good kicker followed by a K weak kicker right? Certainly not A10.

If he coldcalls the flop that's gotta raise a flag with SB. Therefore SB is probably going to check it to him on the turn which will garner at least 1 call. But if he 3 bets the flop he probably loses CO on the flop and a fair chance SB lays down on the turn.

IF he's going to semi-bluff with A10 his play seems reasonable to me.

SB's check-raise on the flop is good because they just talked about how that's a bad play - so it looks like a bluff.

Otherwise I think only the CO played the hand pretty well. The Jack stifled his turn-raise notion - I think I would have raised the turn anyway though because I'm not going to like an A or 10 on the river.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:00 PM

IMO player 2 butchered this one.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:49 PM

Seems to me like player 1 should either fold or 3bet from the SB. He would like to take this pot heads up (and with a solid player on the BB he has a good shot at it), and as he is out of position that extra aggression will win him a lot of pots he would have otherwise folded.

On the flop I really like the checkraise by player 1 as it adds deception to his hand, and if the BB is going to fold for 2 bets on that board he was probably going to fold for just one.

As far as the flop play by player 2, I think he made a huge mistake by 3betting there. First he doesn't really have odds to draw to his straight (and maybe A outs), but secondly the odds of that 3bet picking up the pot are quite small, given the texture of the board and the action.

The 3bet also commits him to a bet on the turn as a continuation, and at that point the pot will be big enough that he would have to call a raise hoping to hit his hand on the river. So the 3bet is costing him a lot more than just the 3bets, and none of it is particularly justified.

I am fine with turn and river play on all counts.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:43 PM

Good points. The check-raise of the button by SB with trip kings ala John Feeney is very deceptive. The BB is probably folding for one bet or two as you point out. Or, the deception might work, as happened in Inside the Mind, the middle player may misread SB hand, and provided extra action.

and yes, bb is now screwed on the turn, he must bet and risk being faced with a raise that he has to consider calling, yuck.

Would you have bet the flop if you were BB? Check and plan to call one bet?
Old 04-15-2005, 09:15 PM

From BB's perspective, that is a very scary board. Even if AT was ahead preflop against a weak steal, that board probably hit someone, so I wouldn't bet there out of fear of a raise. If CO bet and sb called, I would probably call to see the turn, but folding is close.