Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 10:31 PM

Default Geez you people on this board really really suck!!!

Just kidding! The posters on this board are great. I just wanted to make a one year "thanks" post.

I have been posting here a full year now. In that time I have learned so much from the people here, and have made a nice little bit of money along the way. Not nearly as much as you fully time pros, but enough to enjoy a nice vacation in San Francisco in a month in a half! My wife is very happy about that (and doesn't bitch about all the poker books anymore [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

As I remember, my first post here was titled something like "what am I doing wrong?" It was about my short term bad results playing 3/6 at the B&M. I know almost NOTHING about the game then. You have all seen these posts, there is usually one or two here everyday.

Since then, I have learned a LOT about poker. I would not call myself good, but I'm a winner right now. I started my online career playing nanolimits: .02/.04 game for a while, single tabling and learning to apply decent tight play. This was pre SSHE, so I was utilizing WLLHE combined with what I understood of HEPFAP. I moved up limits slowly... VERY slowly. First to .05/.1, then I made a huge jump: .25/.5. Oh my god, those games are raked!!

I took some time off to pass my comps (Ph.D. qualifying exams) in Sept of 04, then I got a good CRT monitor with 16x12 res so I would multitable, then moved up to .5/1.

Right now I'm in transition from 1/2 to 2/4. I am WAY overbankrolled, but that is okay with me since I am more worried about playing well and enjoying the game. To be honest, I am probably I little gunshy about moving up too, but that is just another hurdle I need to overcome.

This is not the most inspiring story I know. I'm not a 15/30 player. I'm not one of the big names on the board. I'm not a great player, but merely a decent one. I am one of those 2+2ers: the 15/8 guys that don't play on the next level and you really good players could defeinately mop the floor with me. That is cool -- I accept that. (And I try to learn when you all discuss the weaknesses of such players b/c I know that is me you are talking about.)

When I first started posting here the regulars on micro were bison, sfer, CDC, and I learned a LOT from those guys. As they have moved on to SS and other boards I have tried to contribute mainly to that board to help newer low limit players grasp basic concepts, while reinforcing those concepts myself -- sort of in a symbiotic relationship.

Anyway, Dragonball GT is about to come on and I wanna see it, so sorry for typos and all. I will respond to posts on this thread later.

Just wanted to say, thanks for a great and profitable year guys. You people seriously rock!
Old 04-12-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Geez you people on this board really really suck!!!

Glad to see you moving up in the world. You have really done a lot for the micros and I think your contribution to SS will be great. Don't be afraid of 2/4, it really isn't that bad at all, just find a few super fish and follow them around. I'm positive you will be a winning player.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:05 PM

FWIW, I happen to find the majority of your posts quite insightful. GL moving to 2/4 (whenever that may be). I'm looking to make that jump in the next couple of months as well.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:47 AM

i feel the same as you. this board has really made my game. Because of 2+2 I am able to spend 2 months of my summer volunteering in south africa, without having to worry about money. congrats on your success
Old 04-13-2005, 10:40 AM

Thanks much to all of you for the comments. I look forward to my second year at 2+2, and hope my game continues to improve. If I love up limits in a proportional manner, I should be playing 100/200 and moving up to 200/400 in a year or so. Yeah right! I think A more realistic goal is maybe 10/20, but that might be stretching it.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:04 AM

I'm at 2/4 now. I keep trying 3/6, but I can't seem to win. Some of it is poor play, frustration. Some of it is just plain poor luck over the first few thousand hands. I'm at -BB/100 for AKo, AKs, even KK.

The point being, the ability to advance levels slows dramtically. I went from .25/.50 to 2/4 within about 3 months. I've been stuck at 2/4 for nearly 7 months now. Most of what I win gets lost on attempts to play 3/6. The move to 3/6 is huge compared to all others. I imagine getting to 5/10 will take the better part of the next year.

Don't get heady and stubborn. If you get thrashed on a jump up, go back down. Decide how much you're willing to lose on that shot at moving up each time and stick with it or you'll see a huge portion of your bankroll dissapear very quickly.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:57 AM

I was making those statements tounge in cheek -- there is not way I will EVER play 100/200. Honestly, I will be happy just plugging along at the small stakes enjoying myself and making a little splurge money, along with clearing bonuses as they come along.

I really don't have delusions of granduer. I like to think I am too disciplined to blow my roll on a shot at a higher limit, but I don't want to get complacent even about that.

Thanks for the concern though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]