Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 12:37 AM

Default Poker Stars as a batting cage.

Hi all,

I just read Small Stakes Hold 'em and I am beginning to try to apply the concepts to my game. The notion of loosening up my play is really intriguing to me, given how tight I have become.

However, it's been a rocky start. I think I might need to try some stuff a few times before I get it through my skull that I am/am not applying things correctly. It made me think that I should really go down a level to try out some of my sweet skills with these concepts.

If I were to go down to the nano-limits (.02/.04) and (0.05/0.1) on poker stars and tune up my swing how would compare to the games I've played: $0.50/$1 (my personal favorite~6800 hands), $1/$2 (~1000 hands) and the 6-table $1/$2 (193 hands) on party poker? Would a few thousand hands down there help me or just be a huge waste of time?

Also, I'm much more of a newbie at NLH and tournement strategy. Would checking out the tiny limits help with those as well?
Old 04-13-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Poker Stars as a batting cage.

I think if you've got the roll, play .50/1. You'll learn a lot of foundation stuff. Nano limits is next to useless for mine, except value betting.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:45 AM

Ehhh not necessarily true. You learn how to get used to suck outs, you get the hang of basic stuff like raising into 6 players, you learn how to value bet draws.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ehhh not necessarily true. You learn how to get used to suck outs, you get the hang of basic stuff like raising into 6 players, you learn how to value bet draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that, but you learn that stuff at .50/1 plus how to deal with TAGs and the like.

If you have the roll, .50/1 is the place to be.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:54 AM

Do this.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:25 AM

I can't speak for Poker Stars, but the nanos at UB are looser than play money on Yahoo(admittedly I have tried both). You may be able to test some concepts, but I don't think you can draw any conclusions about player reaction to aggression, particularly in relationship to various board textures.

After I started playing for cash at Poker Room, I would play in the play money games to try to improve reading boards and hand selection. - They do not have nanos and I was trying to protect meager BR. I quit the play money, moving to UB nanos. There was no discernible difference to me, and it certainly was not worth the bad habits and sloppy play it brought about.

If you must play nanos, try .05/.1 at Full Tilt Poker. You will not clear bonus in any hurry at that limit, but there are some good players there at those limits.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you must play nanos, try .05/.1 at Full Tilt Poker. You will not clear bonus in any hurry at that limit, but there are some good players there at those limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't want good players at your table

ideal situation is 3 TPP to your left, 6LPP to your right

its like an atm machine, you get the button alot more than you should .. having great postition on the fishies