Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 10:15 AM

Default I Hate making decisions with no reads

From memory or what's left of it. Hmm..what was I going to post. Okay I remember now.

Party 3/6 just sat down and posted in the BB.

Preflop: UTG+1 calls, a few folds, MP2 calls, few folds, Button calls, SB folds, I check with QJo.

Flop: Q74 rainbow
Hero bets, all call.

Turn: Q
Hero bets, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, Button calls

River: Blank
Hero bets, Button raises, Hero....

Being I have no read is there no "correct play" in this situation?
Old 04-12-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: I Hate making decisions with no reads

The correct play is to call. He could have a worse Queen, he could have just hit his full house, he could be bluffing... and I don't know what the blank was, but a 3 or 8 makes a 65 straight. Without a read, you HAVE to call.

I often make river calls against unknowns in worse situations than this JUST to get some type of read. It's only one BB, and you can usually get that back plus interest with a little information...
Old 04-12-2005, 10:28 AM

I'm sorry, with that action and your holding, you should raise at least once more. He's not hold A-Q or K-Q most likely and he will pay you off with Q-10 and Q-9. I think your missing an important value raise here.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:33 AM

I don't think he was considering folding (at least I hope not). I think the choice is a call or a raise. I would lean towards raising here...but a cap would suck though. This is coming from the button which if he held anything on the turn, he probably would have popped it there. So..what is he raising...I'm not sure, I would like to know what the "blank" was on the river.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:35 AM

TheDelChop... there are many more hands you will be paying off (Including AQ, KQ, Q7, Q4, 77, 44, blank:blank, 65 if the straight hit) than you will be paid off by (QT, Q9). With no read, it is best to just call. A value bet occurs when you have more hands that will pay you off than you will be paying off. Here, it is clear that you are behind a lot more hands than you are ahead of that could raise the river. The reasons to call instead of fold are mostly because you have a strong hand and to get a read on this player. Finally, the pot is small and there is no reason to push the betting, IMO.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:45 AM

I agree with your analysis. His raise on the river w/ that board is a strong move. It implies at least a queen. There are few queens you beat that will pay off, a lesser queen (Qxs) may have turned or rivered a full house...he may have hit a set somewhere. If he's bluffing, he will not pay off a 3-bet. If he raised with two pair for some random reason on the end (unlikely), he will probably not pay off a 3-bet. This is an easy call but I don't like a reraise w/o KQ or AQ when all the cards are out, you've been betting all the way and you get raised.

Jeff
Old 04-12-2005, 12:08 PM

So there is no misunderstanding there is no way I am considering folding here. The choice is call or 3-bet. Even if capped I'm calling, without a read that the guy might limp KQ on the button etc. Does anyone disagree with this. Also when I say "blank" he would need 3 hole cards to make the str8 and no flush is possible.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:35 PM

Assuming the 'blank' isn't an 8 or a 3, I like three-betting here. It's likely your opponent was slowplaying a Q, and I think you're likely to have the best kicker.