Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Howard Lederer\'s $3k Camp and Paul Phillips

Hello All,

Wasn't sure where to categorize this post but since the "buy-in" is about $3k I figured Mid-Stakes NLHE would suffice.

I was fortunate enough to win one of two freeroll seats into the camp via FTP so I only dropped air fare from NY to Vegas. There were about 300 attendees, of which 2 were freeroll winners, 29 satellite winners, and the rest were either there on their own cash or in groups as gifts from their jobs.

Howard Lederer, Paul Phillips, Layne Flack, Erik Seidel, Chris Ferguson, Amir Vahedi, David Williams, Robert Williamson, Annie Duke, Phil Gordon, Perry Friedman, and Clonie Gowen particpated in the camp.

I was probably one of a handful of people there in my early twenties as the overwhelming majority age range was from 30-60, likely because of the cost. In my opinion the average skill and knowledge level of the attendees was very low. Their questions to the pros were very primitive and their play was very straight forward, with very few exceptions.

I faired well in both tourneys just missing a cash in the 50K (top 18 payout) and having Howard knock me out late on his way to actually winning the WSOP seat tourney (seat given to the guy who came in 2nd).

Anyway I feel that the most informative pro was Paul Phillips. Most of the pros spoke of general strategy (which was the proper advice that should've been given to their audience) whereas Paul spoke of constantly developing the starting framework one has for his/her's opponents along with other exact goals in playing opponents. Having him post on 2+2 is really a treat to all as we are privy to a brilliant poker mind that is able to articulate his thoughts with great precision. I encourage all to refrain from writing anything that is designed to get underneath his skin or strike up a battle of zingers with him. Disagreeing is fine, but please don't bring an ego to the forum or try to discredit a source that is far more credible than you.

Overall the camp was a lot of fun. Playing with the well known pros and Q & A is the value of the camp. Having people like PP, Sklansky, Raymer, and Allen C, Randy Jensen, etc. participate here is of the same value, don't be ignorant by posting mindless jargon at them.

Thanks.

Thomas "Shrugged"
Old 04-07-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Howard Lederer\'s $3k Camp and Paul Phillips

This should probably be placed in the psych or tournament forums. Nice first post, though, kid.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:19 PM

Is Robert Williamson the guy that couldn't read the board in Omaha? Or do I have him mixed up with someone else?
Old 04-07-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Robert Williamson the guy that couldn't read the board in Omaha? Or do I have him mixed up with someone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

No that's the incredibly clueless Ted Lawsone (sadly enough-2004 WSOP Pot-Limit Omaha champion)

I'm beyond certain that Robert Williamson knows how to read a board
Old 04-07-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Robert Williamson is one of the greatest Omaha players in the world...this is not really disputed. Ted Lawson was an absolute joke in WSOP 2004, but has actually had a little success since as well, so go figure.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:14 PM

Old 04-07-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
YEAH MON!!!!

nice avatar btw
Old 04-12-2005, 10:28 AM

And now Paul is gone from the forum entirely...maybe you should re-post this in the "Paul Phillips 2-5 nlh at the Mirage" thread, which is where they finally drove him out.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:10 PM

Firstly, he's not gone forever.

Secondly, who gives a [censored]?