Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2005, 02:31 AM

Default Back at 3/6....87o BB hand....

After some nasty downswings at 3/6 that crippled my bankroll and damaged my confidence, ,I decided to take a step back, move down to 2/4 and rebuild, both my bankroll and my confidence. Reading HFAP has helped quite a bit too. So with 400 BB at my disposal, I am venturing back into the world of 3/6. I have made a few crucial changes, IMHO, that has helped my game alot. Since March 15th, I have upped my VPIP to around 19% from 15%, my PFR% from 7% to 9%. The next on my list is my River agression.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

River: (15.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button folds.

Final Pot: 17.16 BB

Thoughts? Too loose from the BB here? Go for a C/R on the turn instead of leading out? Comments on all streets please!
Old 04-09-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Re: Back at 3/6....87o BB hand....

PF = fold (probably play if suited)

Flop = fine
One thought after flop: everyone called with K83 rainbow! So, everyone got a piece of it, or some pocket pairs are definitely prevalent).

Turn = I think betting out is fine. You can't let a free card go by, with everyone getting some kind of piece of the flop.

B/c MP2 raised PF, the only way he'll beat you is if he raised w/KK or 88 PF. MP2's turn call on 3-bet = AK/KQ/AA/QQ = you are in great shape.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After some nasty downswings at 3/6 that crippled my bankroll and damaged my confidence, ,I decided to take a step back, move down to 2/4 and rebuild, both my bankroll and my confidence. Reading HFAP has helped quite a bit too. So with 400 BB at my disposal, I am venturing back into the world of 3/6. I have made a few crucial changes, IMHO, that has helped my game alot. Since March 15th, I have upped my VPIP to around 19% from 15%, my PFR% from 7% to 9%. The next on my list is my River agression.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

River: (15.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button folds.

Final Pot: 17.16 BB

Thoughts? Too loose from the BB here? Go for a C/R on the turn instead of leading out? Comments on all streets please!

[/ QUOTE ]

Donkerific, but postflop everything looks standard. How is this preflop? I would probably defend here, but I'm not sure if it's right or wrong.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:21 AM

With three people coming with me, I make this call preflop.

I like betting out on the turn, fully expecting to be raised so I can three bet. A checkraise probably slows villian down and you won't get your 3 bets against his AK.

What's your line if the turn was capped? Check call the river?
Old 04-09-2005, 03:35 AM

Obviously, I'm check/calling if I'm capped here. a bet/call if I boat up.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:40 AM

I would have folded pf. I used to call with unsuited connectors from the BB until I realized how much trouble they cause. If I play this hand, I'm hoping to make a straight or trips. That's relatively rare though. The most likely scenario is that you completely miss the flop and fold. Next likely is that you make 1 pair and wind up throwing more money in to try to make a better hand that may or not be good. I just let 1 small bet go here and invest my money in better hands and better position.

I would have check-raised the turn. I think that's a matter of personal preference and your read on players. Betting out certainly is not a bad play.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PF = fold (probably play if suited)

Flop = fine
One thought after flop: everyone called with K83 rainbow! So, everyone got a piece of it, or some pocket pairs are definitely prevalent).

Turn = I think betting out is fine. You can't let a free card go by, with everyone getting some kind of piece of the flop.

B/c MP2 raised PF, the only way he'll beat you is if he raised w/KK or 88 PF. MP2's turn call on 3-bet = AK/KQ/AA/QQ = you are in great shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree with the above. The stuff in bold is correct as well. I like betting out on the flop to try and get a three bet in. Check raise slows the above hands down slightly I think (if it gets capped by MP2 you're probably in trouble) -- his 3-bet call pretty much lets u know you're good.

I fold this preflop though. You have to look at what you're hand can do. Suited I play it. Unsuited gives u less outs, u have to hit a draw, trips, two pair. In in otherwords, unsuited you're going to be throwing this away on the flop most of the time.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:06 AM

i really dont like the play on the flop. This isnt absolutely terrible i guess, but seeing how the hand is nto even suited, it becomes completely unplayable imo. On the flop, i dislike the call. Im very aggressive as it is but i think a raise on your part would be the best play. If pf raiser has AQ AJ AT or pocket pair below kings, you'll be putting pressure on him. Given the very dry flop, the buttons call shows definite weaness. Given the limit you're playing, i can almost guarentee you that the button (or was it cutoff?) has an ace with a middle unpaired card like AJ-A9, maybe even backdoor flush. A raise here on your part is not only good for a semi bluff because you could easily make a better hand fold, but its also good because you may very well have the best hand. If the pf raiser 3 bets it? well thats good and bad because you know he'll probably be shutting out the button increasing your chances of winning, and you also know where you stand in the hand. I like calling there and taking one off. I definitely advocate a check raise in this spot. Good luck at the tables.