Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Between Trips and a hard place

I dunno how interesting this hand is, but i think it has some merit.
Reads: SB is a donk, I don't give him credit for much of a brain, he can be betting with anything including 9x, 2x or a medium pair. He can be agressive with marginal hodings
BB is LAP- so after the pf raise and the bet on the flop, the range is probally somewhere from AA-TT, AK-AQ.
The rest of the callers are classic fish/calling stations who are drawing with either overcards or a flush draw most likely. My range is a bit wider for these guys.
Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero.. ?,

What I did and reasoning (In white)
<font color="white"> I called. I'd raise one bet, but if i three-bet this I might as well play my hand face up. The calling stations aren't going anywhere especially if they have a flush draw, and i don't particularly want them to fold. I know either the SB or BB is going to bet the turn for me, so by raising the turn, I think i can get 2BB out of everyone and get me the most equity on the hand. Because if i 3-bet the flop, i'm sure i'll get called and checked to me on the turn, where I will bet again, I think this line maximizes my profits. Comments?</font>
Old 04-06-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Between Trips and a hard place

3bets
Old 04-06-2005, 04:16 PM

I would raise here. It's really likely that you're ahead, and you will get action from people with hands like A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]X [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] who won't call if you wait until the turn. Waiting for the turn isn't awful if you know that BB will bet again, but what if he's just on overcards? Then you just missed out on some more $$. I raise this flop
Old 04-06-2005, 04:18 PM

3-bets. You probably have the best hand, and since you're not going to drive any flush draws out, you should charge them as much as possible.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:27 PM

I'll admit to being torn on 3-betting vs calling. But i know I absoultley cannot protect my hand (not that it really need protecting) so i was trying to maximize the amount of bets that got into the pot. I figured 3-betting would basically kill my action unless i was up against another 9 or a flush card hits on the turn or river.
I was fairly confident that there would be a bet on the turn especially if it was an A or K. This time it did work for me, but I knew with my position i'd always be able to ensure a turn bet, even if i had to do it myself.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:27 PM

I raise here. You've got position charge them the extra bet.

My reasoning (please critique): If your read is correct and the BB and others are on overcards, then a overcard fallng on the turn is likely to get them to bet into you. Or, at least call a bet by you. If they miss the turn, then they may fold to your turn bet. The result could be that miss 4 or more SBs by not raising after the flop.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:28 PM

if you call flop and raise the turn:

8SBs go in on the flop if SB calls. (that aren't yours)
6BBs go in on the turn (if 1 MP folds)

total: 10BB

if you 3-bet the flop:

12SBs go in on flop
3BBs go in on the turn (if 1 MP folds)

9BBs

So, 3-betting the flop leaves us short 1 BB. So, if it will get checked to us on the turn more than 10% of the time if we just call the flop, it is more worthwhile to 3-bet it. I think BB will have UI overcards on the turn more than 10% of the time and check it.

Also, a SnG by donk-style SB is possible which helps us in the second scenario.

EDIT: also, I'm not real sure of my analysis here...commentary/reaming welcome.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:30 PM

3 bet

looks like both players are playing overs -- if one of these hits, they will definitely bet into you again, so I think you should get the money in the pot in case they miss.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:31 PM

I 3 bet on the flop here. If a spade comes on the turn and I get re-raised or something, I start to pull back on the reins.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:33 PM

You don't think that they are going to assume that 3-bet a 9? I mean they are bad, but most people realize that 3-betting this board probally equals bad news for overcards. I lose all deception value if i 3-bet the flop. I'm usually against FPS, but i think it definately had value here