Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Step III hand

I was up to Step IV, but ended up back at Step III... at least all this play only cost me $12 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, does anyone play this any differently... it seems fairly simple with my tiny chip stack, but with the difference between 3rd and 4th a Step IV vs a Step III, I'm not so sure I did the right thing...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG (t1630)
Button (t3290)
<font color="#C00000">SB (t4160)</font>
<font color="#C00000">ZootMurph (t920)</font>

Preflop: ZootMurph is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, ZootMurph checks.

Flop: (t800) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">ZootMurph raises to t520 (All-In)</font>...

He's obviously calling here because it's only another 120 no matter what he has...
Old 04-05-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Step III hand

i push that pre-flop but he's probably calling anyway
Old 04-05-2005, 08:28 PM

I really don't like getting it all in before the flop here. Anything can happen and if I don't hit anything, I can still fold and be in it. With the blinds so high in relation to the chip stacks, one bad hand can push me into 3rd. So, I'm happy to check and see if I hit anything. If I do, I'm ready to push it in. The fact that I'm up against the big stack and he may well try to push me out of the hand with nothing makes me believe that the flop push was right. In addition, he only min. bet, rather than just putting me all in, making me doubly sure he didn't have anything.

But again, there's no reason to push this hand preflop with the blinds so large vs chip stacks, IMO. If he put me all in preflop, however, it would be an easy call.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:29 PM

Push PF
Old 04-05-2005, 08:40 PM

it is precisely because the blinds are so big that you should push pre-flop.

Also the big stack has shown weakness by only completing, as a short stack you couldnt really ask for a better situation.

this is a push pre-flop in any position considering your a short stack and 4 handed, if you had maybe 500 more chips you could fold and hope the other guy with 1500 odd busted before you but being so small the best hope is to double up

This hand is a gift.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't like getting it all in before the flop here. Anything can happen and if I don't hit anything, I can still fold and be in it. With the blinds so high in relation to the chip stacks, one bad hand can push me into 3rd. So, I'm happy to check and see if I hit anything. If I do, I'm ready to push it in. The fact that I'm up against the big stack and he may well try to push me out of the hand with nothing makes me believe that the flop push was right. In addition, he only min. bet, rather than just putting me all in, making me doubly sure he didn't have anything.

But again, there's no reason to push this hand preflop with the blinds so large vs chip stacks, IMO. If he put me all in preflop, however, it would be an easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cannot fold this hand under any circumstances. What flops are you thinking you would fold? At worst you hit an ace high.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was up to Step IV, but ended up back at Step III... at least all this play only cost me $12 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, does anyone play this any differently... it seems fairly simple with my tiny chip stack, but with the difference between 3rd and 4th a Step IV vs a Step III, I'm not so sure I did the right thing...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG (t1630)
Button (t3290)
<font color="#C00000">SB (t4160)</font>
<font color="#C00000">ZootMurph (t920)</font>

Preflop: ZootMurph is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, ZootMurph checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have A5..push this after SB only completes.