Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 02:32 AM

Default Checking the river w/ trips vs. possible flush:

I pussied out on the river. I know it would normally be correct to bet it with such a strong hand vs. chasers. But I figured at least one of them had to be on a flush draw, and that an argument could be made that I'll save more bets than I win with the same play, in the long run.

No reads on anyone... I'd just recently sat in. On a side note, I finally graduated myself up to 0.50-1 today after hitting $100 from 25-50. All the .50-1 tables on PStars have an average pot of 6-7 or less, but I just read on another thread that PP tables are *normally* at least 9-10BB. Wtf? They're really that loose?

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Checked to Hero, who checks.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 04-03-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Checking the river w/ set vs. possible flush:

First of all you don't have a set, you have trips. A set is when you are holding a pp and hit three of a kind. Sorry to nitpick.

Anyway, this is an easy value bet, especailly at the .5/1. These people could be calling with a straight draw, a pp, bottom pair, basically anything. If you get checkraised you should still probably call it because of the size of the pot, although I could see some argueing for folding. Try not to see monsters under the bed though. The most important thing to understand is that in the micros you can't bluff or steal much so you have to valuebet valuebet valuebet the heck out of these fish. The definition of value betting is betting a marginal holding on the river against people who are morons and likely to pay you off with an even worse hand. In this case you have a very solid hand, not even marginal so I believe this is an easy bet. If someone bets into you I would just call and if they c/r you I would still call.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:25 PM

I agree with your value bet on the river, but having 3 of a kind weather or not its from a PP is still called a set and trips.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with your value bet on the river, but having 3 of a kind weather or not its from a PP is still called a set and trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people here (and most poker books) use "set" specifically to describe 3 of a kind made with a pocket pair and "trips" specifically to describe 3 of a kind with a pair on the board. Because a set is so much more deceptive than trips the hands often play very differently.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Checking the river w/ trips vs. possible flush:

[ QUOTE ]
I know it would normally be correct to bet it with such a strong hand vs. chasers.

[/ QUOTE ]

then bet and call a check-raise.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:14 PM

Yeah, well, I'd just lost another big pot to someone, after flopping a set... and raising like a mofo... only to have him make his flush on the river. His pocket cards? 7d 2d! I almost pulled a Hellmuth. But, yes, I'll probably bet the river next time.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, well, I'd just lost another big pot to someone, after flopping a set... and raising like a mofo... only to have him make his flush on the river. His pocket cards? 7d 2d! I almost pulled a Hellmuth. But, yes, I'll bet the river next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fixed your post.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:47 PM

I will concur that you definitely pussied out on the river. Clear value bet. Remember that it's actually semi-rare for someone to flop a flush draw. Around the same chance as flopping a set. It is much more likely for them to have lesser hands that will call your river bet.