Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Isolation raise gone wrong

This hand bothered me while I was playing it, mostly because I just kept calling postflop. Not sure what I should have done differently. All comments appreciated.

UTG had 50 VPIP and .7 AF. I was hoping to get heads-up with him. I didn't work out that way.

Paradise Poker 3/6 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (10 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (18 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 21 BB
Old 03-31-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Isolation raise gone wrong

I can find an excuse to raise every street. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think you enough equity to reraise the flop for value. The turn is fine as a raise doesn't do you any good.
Raise the river, call a 3-bet. Do you really put BB on a flush?
Old 03-31-2005, 08:00 AM

Im gonna go with BB having high pocket pair here. That or he really likes his AK-AJ (and if its diamonds, you are screwed, but its unlikely). So Im going with PP, QQ or KK most likely. SB probably has top pair to two pair, who knows you might be choping it with him, hes afraid of the flush either way.

Anyway, what WRTO said. You should at least raise him on the the river.

Im tired, so this advice is pretty plain jane.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:36 AM

do you guys really think he's betting into 3 other opponents with just a high pocket pair on a 4-straight and 3-flush board? I call and go for overcalls.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:55 AM

I considered raising the flop but I wussed out since I was facing two bets and I wasn't sure how clean my outs were.

On the river I went for the overcall. My thinking was that two bets would knock out the SB anyway and if BB had a flush, I'd get 3-bet. Basically if I was ahead I'd win the same (one more BB) from calling or raising, but if I was behind, raising would have cost me more.

Any more thoughts?
Old 03-31-2005, 06:06 PM

What's the verdict on the PF play?

-How much is UTG raising? If he raises all his good hand and limps with his 97o, then iso is good. If he's passive though, your equity against his limping hands is not so good.
-How loose are the blinds? With loose blinds, a raise is not so good, obviously.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you guys really think he's betting into 3 other opponents with just a high pocket pair on a 4-straight and 3-flush board? I call and go for overcalls.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is only one person left to overcall. I think your hand is good enough times to raise. It's close, though. Thoughts on raise &amp; fold to a 3-bet? Wait a minute, board's too coordinated for that.

I just don't think either one has flushes, not the way the betting went. So what are we scared of that makes us go for overcalls?
Old 04-02-2005, 09:39 AM

yeah no flushes here. Seriously though u should post the results.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:54 AM

I like it up until the river.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:44 PM

Huh, I am surprised everyone wants you to raise the river here, this looks like a textbook example of when to call.

BB might have you beat? check. (Looks kinda like AK or AQ diamonds to me)

SB might call 1 but fold for 2? check. (Although this is debatable, pot is huge and he c/red turn... he could call 2. He will certainly call 1, tho.)

You have to call a 3-bet? check. (Pot is huge.)

Looks like a call to me. I think raising hoping to get 2 bets from both and scoop is waaaay too optimistic.

Random thought: do you have enough equity here to 3-bet the turn? Probably pretty close... and it looks like fun... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-muz