Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Rockets, party $30/$60. Simple one?

Decent game.

I think everything up to the turn is pretty standard here.

Two limpers in EP, I raise in MP with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], folded to BB who calls, limpers call.

4 players (4.5BB)

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet, only EP1 calls.

EP1 is unknown, but from what I've seen this session he has shown down some questionable hands, and my intial estimation is that he is far too loose.

2 Players (5.5BB)

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

EP1 checks....

Check or Bet? Your plan?
Old 04-01-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Rockets, party $30/$60. Simple one?

Based on your read it is an easy bet!
Old 04-01-2005, 01:42 PM

Against this type of player I would bet, sounds like he would call the flop with some pretty weak holdings. If you can safely fold to a check/raise then I would definately bet.

Against a more aggressive player I might check.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against this type of player I would bet, sounds like he would call the flop with some pretty weak holdings. If you can safely fold to a check/raise then I would definately bet.

Against a more aggressive player I might check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Planning on raising the river I hope.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Planning on raising the river I hope.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, against a good player, I'm not gonna get a call on the raise am I? He will either fold or 3-bet me.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:16 PM

You said an agressive player, not a nessecarily a good one.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Results

I bet the turn, EP1 check raised, and I called him down on a river blank.

He showed J9o and MHING.

Good to see you guys agree with my bet. Yeah, he could have limped with anything, a queen, KT, a jack, maybe even a medium pocket pair.

Checking the turn felt like scared poker. However, at no point was I planning on folding, so maybe since I have to payoff a checkraise there is merit to checking and inducing a river bet without being faced with the uncomfortable situation on the turn.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Results

this is one of the posts that isn't really a question, right? you just didn't like how the hand worked out. either this is an incredibly simple decision or i am not thinking enough about this type of situation.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
this is one of the posts that isn't really a question, right? you just didn't like how the hand worked out. either this is an incredibly simple decision or i am not thinking enough about this type of situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I didn't like the result this time, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't being results oriented. I was curious to see how other players on this forum would handle the situation.

It's not always bet or always check, I think it is player dependent too. In this case I didn't have much of a read, except that the player was loose. That would lean in favor of betting, since a lot times you will get called by a worse hand/charge their draw etc... Occasionally this player will have trips, but long term my turn bet should show a profit since they will call with many weaker hands.

Against a tight aggressive player or strong tricky player, there may be more value in checking the turn. This type of player is more likely to have either a very strong hand and make you pay, or nothing and will go away. By checking you may induce a river bluff and get one more bet that you would not have otherwise gained, or they may look you up with ace high on the river. Probably not as much danger in giving a free card in this situation as they are far less likely to limp up front with something like KT, T9.