Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 06:17 PM

Default 99 MP, I messed up... Should\'ve lost more

Here's the hand. Live 10/20. Full table. Tighter than normal. UTG is tight possible 2+2er, but likes to ram and jam rather than go for turn check-raises or whatever limps UTG. Folds to me in MP and I raise with 99, all fold and limper re-raises. I call.
Flop: 964r
UTG bets, since I think he has AA I raise, he 3-bets. I call. I think I might like capping better against this particular opponent, but oh well.
turn: A
Crap. I just call down.
Part of me feels like this was a pretty bad play, but part of me feels like no other line is very good considering his range of hands since he is definitely capable of folding KK to a turn raise here, and I don't think he 3-bets AKs out of position even on that raggy flop. However, there are occassional situations in poker where you just have to clench your jaw, fists, toes, and lose a significant number of BBs, and flopping top set, I feel this was one of them. Thoughts?
Old 03-29-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Re: 99 MP, I messed up... Should\'ve lost more

I think you should cap the flop, or raise the turn. You should definately find another raise in there.

Now if he 3-bets the turn, I might think about slowing down, depending on how tight he is, though I probably cap it.

If he has a set of aces, well, good for him. Losing set over set is expensive, no way around it.