Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Inside STR8 Draw OK?

As anyone that has been reading my posts knows, I've been running horribly. I think the tide turned with this hand.

Was the river draw OK even though I wasn't closing the action?

I wound up putting in 2 BBs on the river - which was not good - but I didn't know that before hand.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, UTG (poster) calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, SB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (9.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, CO calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (17.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB
Old 03-26-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Inside STR8 Draw OK?

The turn raise sucks, but I think it looks ok.

There is only one person to act behind you, I think if you worry about him too much you will be losing money.

/shrug.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:29 PM

Does anyone lead the flop here? Board is pretty uncoordinated and no one showed strength against the PF raise. I would guess you only have to worry about AT here.

Then again, I've been betting out w/ big Ace High hands that missed the flop all day and getting crushed. Perhaps there's a lesson here. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

-Salty
Old 03-26-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was the river draw OK even though I wasn't closing the action?

[/ QUOTE ]

Count your outs and look at the pot size.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone lead the flop here? Board is pretty uncoordinated and no one showed strength against the PF raise. I would guess you only have to worry about AT here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would probably do the same -- also, I think it's a little weird to PF raise EP then check the rag flop. I think it's highly likely you have the best hand after the flop.

If the table checks all the way around (possible if you're playing against a lot of passive players, or those who might think you'll check-raise), you just gave 8 people a free card, probably killing your chances to win the hand. Also, even if you do manage to spike your pair, it's likely the board card will match suit with another card on the board, giving players a chance to draw out on the river with a flush.

As for the turn play, to call the first bet, you're getting 11.5 to 1, and you have probably 5 outs (2 non-heart aces, 3 non-heart jacks - queen probably wont save you, since some1 probably has kings) so I think call is the right play, and after the raise, the pot is big enough that I think you're committed.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:55 PM

I would have if you had asked be a week ago, because I was too much of an auto-bettor. In this field of 8 players, there is no way you have the best hand, nor will you get everyone to fold. That's a good check.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:55 PM

Well played on every street. You showed excellent restraint on the flop. Nice hand.

Leading the river is preferrable to trying to check raise if you have a passive read on CO. If he's not especially passive, going for the CR is fine.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:02 PM

I like a bet on the flop, but the turn call seems ok to me since you have atleast four outs, plus given the action so far you do NOT have much reason to fear a turn raise.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a bet on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this accomplish?
Old 03-26-2005, 11:06 PM

Just because you raised PF, does not mean you have to autobet the flop.

Passivity can pay off, sometimes.