Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 07:43 AM

Default JJ but a scary board

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP3 calls.

I think MP3 probably has a pair of kings but he might have a flush draw, so I might be currently ahead in this hand. If I am behind I've got 1 clean out to the Jd but my out to the Jh could be dirty. I have also got a gut shot but again the Th could be dirty. So I have between 4 and six outs and I am getting 9.5:1 but there is also a chance that someone allready has a straight but because I have two jacks I think that is unlikely.

I decided to raise for a free card, it worked but I wasn't sure if this was the correct play. Should I have folded the flop, or just called.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

I called the river just incase MP3 was on a flush draw, but maybe I should have bet out the turn and checked behind on the river.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:53 AM

Default Re: JJ but a scary board

i think you can safely fold the flop. its very unlikely u are ahead.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:07 AM

I like the flop raise. You knocked out two players and got it heads up. But if your reason for continuing with the Jacks was because you put your opponent on a flush draw, why on earth did you give him a free card on the turn?? You called the river bet in case of a flush draw so your whole reasoning for continuing with the hand is based on the possible flush.

If you bet the turn then you'll most probably get to check behind him on the river.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you bet the turn then you'll most probably get to check behind him on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was thinking after I checked the flop that I should have bet it instead, and as you say I probably would have been able to check behind on the river.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:37 AM

MP3 is more likely to have a Q, K or some other made hand than a flush draw. I like the line, but not because I think villian is on a flush draw. In this hand, there's a good chance you are behind on the turn but have some outs, so it's good to check (it's more important to bet when you have less outs). If you didn't have the gutshot, then bet the turn and check behind the river if given the chance.
On the river, you give villian the chance to bluff the missed flush draw too. I like it.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:28 PM

I think it's much more likely that Hero is drawing than Villain is here. Consequently, I don't think that Villain's bet on the river will be a bluff very often (since he usually will have the best hand), so there's not much value in letting Villain bet the river.

Since we'd need to call the riv bet anyways, I'd prefer spending the 1BB by betting the turn on the off chance that a tight villain would fold a crappy queen.