Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 01:10 AM

Default Pot/Folding Equity

I saw someone ask what folding equity is, so I decided to post what i think it is so far in my poker education.

This is my level of understanding of folding equity as of right now. Somewhat disorganized but I lack the knowledge to fill in the gaps, right now anyway...

folding equity comes into play on all streets, its basically a percentage of the time you think your opponent will fold with whatever hand you put him on. Like if I put my opponent on a flush draw on the flop, and i have a set, I will bet very hard into the knowing I have folding equity. If i bet very small i would have literally none. It also should take into acct your opponents stack size, if 40% of his stack is in the pot he may call you down with an OESD or overcard draw, this is a bad time to buff...

If I notice a player min betting any flop, i would put a play on him with air knowing there is a good chance he will fold as good of hands as mid pair. A play on a player like this has a lot of folding equity in it.

Also, PF if you have a decent sized and raise players will not automatically put you on steal, if however you have 5BB they may call you with marginal hands (unless they are stort stacked as well) if you're up against the big stack he may call with anything, thinking you will push with any two.

on all streets including preflop if you have your opponent covered by a large amt of chips, and they are a "weak" player, they may fold hands as good as AK.

An ex, I push with QQ UTG+1, my opponent on the button has AK, He may fold if i have him covered and knowing the raise came from early position, a lot more factors come into play(inflection points, blinds, payout, how much he is willing to gamble) than just these 2 variables, but most wont consider them unless they have a premium hand like AK.

Thoughts?
Old 03-25-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Pot/Folding Equity

Yeah, you got it, man. Folding equity is the percentage of time a certain bet will induce a fold. Put another way: that you will win, simply becuase you put money into the pot.

CSC
Old 03-25-2005, 01:26 AM

FE thread
Old 03-25-2005, 01:36 AM

I was with you right up until you said your opponents may fold AK.

95% of online players may fold AJ, but it's kind of a tossup.

Lesson #2 of FE, right after #1 (figuring out what it is) is not to overestimate it.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was with you right up until you said your opponents may fold AK.

95% of online players may fold AJ, but it's kind of a tossup.

Lesson #2 of FE, right after #1 (figuring out what it is) is not to overestimate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, it is extremly rare, but in certain situations in an MTT its correct to fold even AA.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:42 AM

well writen lethal,thanks for the explanation,i'm not too deep into that concept yet,but need to give it more thought,about as far as i've gotten is not to give others pot odds for a draw and making sure i have pot odds,but i see the value in the idea.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:56 PM

Given the assumption that the blinds are at least 100/200.

Would it be reasonable to use 50% FE on any given hand for purposes of calculating for any given bet you have +EV? I think in reality that this number is low and that it would be a safe assumption to use?

I used 50% FE and then I used %33 odds that I would win with my two cards against any other two cards and that I would lose 67% of the times that I was called, and then I calculated what size bet would give me a +EV while affording me the maximum FE. Is this way off base?

I was just trying to come up with a quick and dirty way that I could figure out the numbers. It seemed to work well for me today as I finished 26th today which was my best finish in quite a while. I know that in real life there are a lot of variables so that there is nothing that can be totally precise all the time.