Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 03:12 PM

Default 5-5 QTs

5-5 NL hold em

I have QTs in the BB and a stack of about $750. Mediocre MP with $500 (but certainly no donkey) makes it $15 to go. I call in BB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

2 to the flop ($30): K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 :diamond.

Check check. Villain will not autobet the flop heads up.

2 to the turn ($30): (K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 :diamond) J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet $20 and he calls.

2 to the river ($70): (K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 :diamond
J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet $50, he makes it $200, and I call.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: 5-5 QTs

eh...you think AK/KJ is raising this river to 200? It's probably close but I probably call most of the time anyway too.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:16 PM

Would this be a good time to check-call the river? The pot is 70 so he probably wouldn't bet more than 100. It seems like you kind of threw out a blocking bet, but don't you lay down a blocking bet to a raise.
He is probably going to bet this river if checked to, and this will make an easier call for you.

edit- that might be a little weak tight.
but it lets him bluff his busted draw, or value bet his king.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:48 PM

Was this at Niagara Fallsview?

In any case, I think it's fine. If he flopped the flush, well, that's poker. You'll certainly be good here enough of the time.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:27 PM

$50 into $70 is not a blocking bet. The way the hand played out and the size of the pot make it so there is blocking bet...
Old 03-22-2005, 07:21 PM

What makes you think he'll certainly be good enough of the time here? I'm not sure this is the case at all. If the player is solid enough, this river raise is most often not going to be 2 pair, or top pair. Good players don't make valueless raises, and it seems like this would be an instance of such a raise.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:34 PM

OP said opponent was mediocore, not good....As usual, i advise to call on the river....

I think a dry A is a strong possibility here
Old 03-22-2005, 07:49 PM

Well, this player hasn't been described as "good", merely mediocre.

Secondly, if this is the Fallsview game as I suspect it is, I've seen too many wacky things, and have been checkraised myself on the river w/ two pair enough to say that I think my hand is good here enough.

Thirdly, if you're routinely folding in this spot (online or live), I think you're gonna be folding the best hand far too often. I don't see why you're so quick to put him on a made flush.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:20 PM

you think AK/KJ is raising this river to 200?

I don't think he would raise the river to 200 here with those hands. My plan was to bet for value vs. top/middle set. I believed this player would have waited for the turn to see if there was another diamond coming before jamming JJ or KK.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:11 PM

Default RESULTS

Villain showed A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the flopped flush.

I yelled at the dealer (who happens to be a friend) for a brutal turn card, picked up my chips, and left.

The non-autoflopbetting villain meant he wouldn't bet the flop if he missed, so he either hit hard or whiffed.

By the end, I was convinced enough that there was enough chance he had either KK or JJ that it was worth a call.