Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Small pair strategy

I would like a critique of my strategy and perhaps a general discussion on strategy for small pairs.

This is my first post so I would like to thank everyone on twoplustwo for the great posts and helpful information. You guys are great !

I have been playing online for about 6 months and have been serious about no limit, rather than limit or STT for the last month or two.

Here is the basic premise of my small pair plan, a lot of this is borrowed from Super System and other resources online and assorted books.

I assume that if I make my set I can win a decent sized stack. With my set I can crack big pairs and I can crack two pairs. Straights and Flushes and FH are the only risk.

Sometimes I call or limp preflop:
I will play small pairs any position for the price of the blind. If raised I will take a look at the stacks of the players involved. If they or I have less than 8 times the size of the bet, I fold. Chance of set flop is about 1 out of 8. If there is a potential return of 8 times the preflop bet I call. Perhaps since taking all their chips is not guaranteed I should make my requirements tougher ?

Sometimes I raise:
If I have decent position I will frequently raise. This either gives me the pot right there or at least lets the table know that I have a hand. The raise is useful later on when I miss the flop, see postflop.

Postflop missed set:
If I limped in and did not raise then I fold to any real bets. If I have a read on a player and suspect a steal I may play back at them. Most often I am out of there though.

If I had position and raised preflop I will make a pot sized or reasonably sized bluff at the pot if it is checked to me. I will make this bet regardless of the flop. The goal is to steal right then. If they remember I raised preflop the postflop steal is usually a success.

Exceptions:
Straight draws and Flush draws can keep me from going for a post flop steal and they can cause me to lay down my set at times. Again this depends, if I see weakness I will bluff.

Aggressive tables or tables with obviously good players can cause me to muck my small pairs in the face of preflop raises by respected players.

Questions:
Are my preflop requirements for a call basically sound ?

Is my preflop aggression reasonable or should I raise more often and therefore allow a postflop steal ?

Is my postflop play sound ?

I do not chase my set beyond the flop. I figure with two outs I rarely have pot odds to continue. Is this strategy sound ?

Paired boards:
If the flop shows a pair I feel like I still have a decent hand but this is where I seem to have a leak. I have not crunched the numbers but if the board is paired although I have two pairs I often seem to lose. A big bet into someone elses set encourages them to slow play so I am wary of betting too much. If I bet and they call I am most likely beat and should check/fold from then on. ??

Paired flops are my biggest headache when I have small pairs, any advice would be helpful.

Please focus your replies on the general strategy I lay out here. Of course there are exceptions. Some tables you can just push around, at those tables I will take the opportunity to push. Some tables are tough and deserve a little respect, at those tables I may back off or perhaps trap an aggressive player.

Thanks,
tjh
Old 03-23-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Small pair strategy

[ QUOTE ]

Perhaps since taking all their chips is not guaranteed I should make my requirements tougher ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Give yourself at least 10-to-1 to account for those times where you spike your set and still lose, and those times where you don't get paid.