Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 02:31 AM

Default this one is so boring it only has two streets

This hand doesn't really matter much either way.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (20 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls, Hero ...
Old 03-21-2005, 02:43 AM

Default Re: this one is so boring it only has two streets

Any reads on MP2? Limp-cap PF is interesting.

I'm not folding getting 21:1 here, even though I'd really like to have the J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in my hand. I don't see that raising does much good, so I'm calling and taking a look at the turn and turn action.

Rob
Old 03-21-2005, 02:48 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

it sucks not having the J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] but it would really suck folding the best hand. I would call because it's possible he's taking a stab or something and very very occasionally you'll get a free river card with the best hand that'll save you your 70% share of a 11 BB pot.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:51 AM

I think this hand is over for you. Even though you have close enough odds to call if your jacks are clean, the jack of spades is obviously tainted. Also, the limp reraise could be AA which has you in real bad shape.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call because it's possible he's taking a stab or something

[/ QUOTE ]

So, mp2 limp caps and then bets out and the initial raiser calls. Which of these guys is taking a stab?

Gambler, do you have some of those stats that we all love and adore to bring in a little more data?
Old 03-21-2005, 03:22 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

if he needs 24-1 and he's getting 22-1, he doesn't need to have the best hand very often in an 11 BB pot to bridge that gap

you know those hands where you make a loose call on the flop and somethign weird happens and you end up winning unimproved? well, EV-wise those make a huge difference when looking at thin calls in big pots. if he has the best hand and the turn gets checked through 9% of the time, then he should call (he needs to recoup that 2 SB and it's an 11 BB pot, so 1/11 is 9%). it's like some weird twisted version of implied odds. call it "holy [censored] I won" odds
Old 03-21-2005, 04:22 AM

just for reference, the limp-cap almost never means AA, as this is usually the mindset of the capper "it's going to get capped anyway, a)lemme actually try to show strength in my hand so i might take it down, or b) GAMBOOOOOOL!

i would bet out on this flop and see where it goes from there...raise from MP3 and you know you're toast, raise from MP2 could also be the same reaction
Old 03-21-2005, 04:25 AM

You can't mean you have the best hand here? Only that you can go for the odds? But the J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is a tricky maddafakka... /v
Old 03-21-2005, 05:14 AM

That limp cap looks real fishy to me. Unless I had some specific read on him I'd assume it's one of those idiot caps. He is probably the type to think that the pot is going to be capped anyways so he might as well do it. I think he has suited connectors or maybe Ax suited.

With the above in mind, I think that a flop bet might be OK here. MP2 could raise on a flush draw and probably knock out a few players that might either have you beat or might overtake you (a weak ace might fold here?). Also, if you bet and he raises (with a hand that is better than yours) you would be getting 23:1 odds to call that raise which is enough if you consider trip Jacks good enough to win. The J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] may present a problem to you, but that is only if he is on the flush draw, in which case you were ahead.

With the line you chose, I'd probably just call to see the turn and see what happens from there. You may get a free river or you may face 2 bets cold on the turn, either way it is easy to play from there.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:56 AM

I'd muck this on flop without care.

Edit: didn't figure it was capped 5-way. I call here without care:-)