Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 02:29 AM

Default again, a boring one

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP2 folds, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (11 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls.

River: (13 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB
Old 03-21-2005, 02:53 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: again, a boring one

you need reads son. after playing so fast on the flop, I doubt he's slowplaying you. he doesn't have K7. if he had A7 he'd probably raise the turn again. he could have 87 or 97 and that would suck. I think he'll have 99 or 88 more often. a lot of people don't raise those hands after 2 limpers. I also don't expect him to bet with those hands. I'm also not so sure how often he's bluffing a busted draw after all that action you put in. maybe 98 would bet thinking you could have an A high flush draw or something. I still think I'd bet and expect him to either fold a hand he could've checked behind with or call with an overpair or possibly even A6
Old 03-21-2005, 04:00 AM

Nicely played on all streets. What would you have done if he raised the turn?
Old 03-21-2005, 05:04 AM

I like a flop raise here to help protect your hand. I realize the problem is that the flush draw can cold call two bets correctly, but it would help you to define the other player's hands a little more. I think the flush draw cold calls and overpair 3 bets (most of the time).

If you can count on someone else raising the pot behind you on the flop then I like your line much better. It would be no shame to take down a pot this size with some strong moves like those you pulled with little to no competition.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:31 AM

I don't fully understand the river check. The call, 3-bet on the flop screams trips. You also made many callers face 2 more bets which will make the "I checked my missed draw on the river, bet into me and take the pot" move ever more unconvincing. If you give this player enough credit that he may actually be waiting for the river to raise his bigger 7 or boat then you should be able to give this player enough credit to fold to his raise when you bet into him on the river. If you don't give him that credit, bet and call a raise. I don't see how you can check.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't fully understand the river check. The call, 3-bet on the flop screams trips. You also made many callers face 2 more bets which will make the "I checked my missed draw on the river, bet into me and take the pot" move ever more unconvincing. If you give this player enough credit that he may actually be waiting for the river to raise his bigger 7 or boat then you should be able to give this player enough credit to fold to his raise when you bet into him on the river. If you don't give him that credit, bet and call a raise. I don't see how you can check.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this reasoning. Only problem with it is the way a player feels after chasing down a flush draw in a monster pot. If you bet into him, he folds, but if you check, he starts thinking bad thoughts like, "well maybe he was on a draw too!!" Also, it may not be a great idea to pump a pot that you could very easily be losing. Sure, he'll probably bet any 7 on the river if you check, but he'll also bet any missed draw. So, I guess it is the question of is it more likely that he has a stupid over or a missed draw? The stupid over checks behind or calls a bet, the missed draw LIKELY bets, possibly checks behind. Do the instances of a missed draw AND a bet outnumber the instances of a stupid over willing to call down? OR, is he waiting to pop you one on the river which would add to the value of checking to induce a busted draw bet. Also, people bet a checked river with very little. It may be that the stupid over decides that he is good and that he should value bet. I've seen that happen a million times.

I could really go either way here.

CSC
Old 03-22-2005, 01:11 AM

No more thoughts on the river play?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:35 AM

<font color="red"> The call, 3-bet on the flop screams trips. </font>

Yes, but his opponent's cap on the flop screams either a draw or a better hand than 74. Neither of which you'd want to bet into on the river.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:49 AM

He probably has your kicker topped.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bling.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:16 AM

Yep. A7.