Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2005, 02:12 AM

Default Fxcking Spyware!

I fxcked up and downloaded a bittorrent client that was impressively full of spyware. I have run all the good free antispyware programs I can find. They originally found a lot of things, but I eliminated them all. However, when I restart the computer and then run the antispyware programs again, the damn "windupdates" (spyware) continually reappears. Run the antispyware programs 20 minutes after startup and there are another 20 critical objects. I have no problem paying for a program, but is there anything out there that is likely to solve my problem? The only solution I see that might help is Hijack This, but I don't think I am smart enough to use it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oscar
Old 03-19-2005, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Fxcking Spyware!

Turn off system restore, then go through the process.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:22 AM

Spyware Tutorial
Check out this site. It will have you run Hijackthis and ask you to post it on a forum. When you do, the resident tech guy named Kevin will help you with what to delete.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:24 AM

You should be running the spyware programs in safe mode, and not connected to the internet (although in safe mode you aren't connected to the internet).

If you want to paste me your hijack this log in PM, I will gladly tell you what to remove.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:54 AM

Turn off Windows System Restore as ricochet suggested. Then run both Spybot Search & Destroy and AdAware.

I would also strongly suggest installing ZoneAlarm and manually configuring which programs are allowed access to the Internet. That won't keep out spyware, but you at least have some strong access over what programs are allowed to send and receive information.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:38 AM

I ran into this on my little sisters comp last week. First, download the free antispyware beta software from microsoft. It's the best I've seen and free. Run it, have it delete all the stuff, then look under advanced tools and look at everything running on your system and everything in your startup file. Get rid fo everything that it doesnt recognize unless you know what it is. If you find something that won't delete, it's a nasty one. Put it's name in google and you should find instructions on how to get ride of it. My personal nemesis last week was normanantivirus.exe

Good luck!

Steve