Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 12:34 PM

Default What\'s the dumbest move you\'ve ever made in a MTT?

I'm talking about decisions you intentionally made but then kicked yourself for immediately afterwards...

Mine was undoubtedly in last night's $100+9. We were down to 11 left, and the guy to my left had busted out in the BB the previous hand. So I'm on the button with 14500, which is the low stack at my table, although the blinds are only 1500/3000. Time to make a move? sure. Time to be ridiculously desperate? not quite.

So it's folded to me and I see that the BB (no SB this hand) has about 17k chips after posting the BB. I'm holding K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]... I decide to push and of course the BB immediately calls and turns over A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and just like that I'm busted in 11th. Then before I even have a chance to punch the wall I watch a guy knock 2 people out at the final table on the very next hand.

Now this might not be the stupidest decision poker-wise, but I think given the situation it was just about the most boneheaded play I've ever made.

Anyways I'm curious to hear about retarded decisions you've made in MTTs that you immediately regretted. Consider it a therapy session. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: What\'s the dumbest move you\'ve ever made in a MTT?

My lowlight came when I tried to steal the blinds with 64o, and got reraised. So I pushed. He called with ATs, which was kind of a surprise, but obviously the right decision. I didn't feel like a genius after that.

The worst play I saw other players make was in a $3 Sat. About ten from the money, two guys with stacks over $100k whet to war when they could have clicked "Sit Out" and gone to bed. AA busted KK. That was surprising.

Sam
Old 03-16-2005, 12:59 PM

So I'm at the final table in Vienna. I feel pretty confident, I'm stealing and restealing and work my way up to 300k, 4th in chips. 7 left and I find kj of clubs in middle position. Blinds at 7500 and 15000 with 1000 ante. I make it 40k preflop, big stack on button makes it 120. I have a feeling that he's marginal because he's been trying to shove people off hands with position for the last two days. I decide to push. Biggest mistake of my poker career and I make it at the final table of Vienna. He calls with even marginal holdings in this spot getting 2.5:1, and I'm still only racing. If someone would have asked me before the push if i wanted to race it up for my tourney, I would have said absolutely not. But I did, he shows aq, flop comes with and a and a j, and that's that. Whatever, prolly only cost me about $50k.
cheers.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:07 PM

I would'nt classify your play as dumb, rather bad timing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

However I think my play can be regarded as dumb. This about 3 weeks ago. Superthursday final table. Down to 8 players. I open raise 4X's the BB with AQ from MP. Both blinds call. All 3 of us had approximatly same chips counts which was about 15X's the BB left. FLop was (A,Q,10) rainbow. both check to me, I go all-in, both call and both show KJ. Talk about getting played. I'm still kicking myself over that one.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:14 PM

hay

:mamoru: you've been killing the MTTs eh?
you cash out your big win?
Old 03-16-2005, 01:22 PM

You can never be too hard on yourself.

I like what Max Stern says about tournaments: "To live, you must be willing to die."
Old 03-16-2005, 01:23 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

A few weeks ago. Around the bubble with a 40x stack, folded to me on button w/ 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I raise 3x, called by both blinds who had around 20x. Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Checked to me, I bet the pot. SB reraises 3x, BB calls. I think for a minute then reraise all in. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2005, 01:31 PM

Thing is, as we all know, NL hold 'em when played "correctly" is full of spots where you either look like an idiot or a genius.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thing is, as we all know, NL hold 'em when played "correctly" is full of spots where you either look like an idiot or a genius.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. In Sunday's UB $215 tournament, I tried a steal with 84o. SB called, and flop came AAx, double suited. He min-bet, I raised the pot, he called.

Turn is completes the possible flush. He min-bets, I call (calling is the new raising after all).

River is a brick, he checks, I push. He folds, and I make a ton. If he calls, I'm guessing IGHN (I think my 8 may have played, but maybe not). Genius or idiot? I still don't know. Kinda wish I'd showed. Man, he would have tilted like a big dog.

Sam
Old 03-16-2005, 01:41 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

I thought you played the micros.