Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Moving from table to table always posting one off the button

What do you guys think about moving from table to table every round and always posting one off the button?

Assuming a 10 player max 10-20 game you would pay $10 for 7 hands (approx $1.43 a hand) rather than the normal $15 for 10 hands ($1.50 per hand). Obviously the edge would be even greater in a 15-30 game ($2.14 a hand vs the usual $2.50 per hand)

This does not even take into account the value of posting with position rather than the normal scenario of posting your blind monies at the worst 2 spots on the table. Anyway that someone can assign some sort of value to this additional position edge?

Assuming you always multi table online and play pretty by the book with no knowledge of your opponents, is the increase in EV from paying less per hand worth the trouble? What about the increase in EV from less paid per hand + the increased EV from posting monies in better positions- are the two combined worth the trouble?

BBP
Old 03-14-2005, 04:16 AM

Default Re: Moving from table to table always posting one off the button

I don't think it's worth the trouble. Losing hands/hour is one thing, but the aggravation and annoyance is -EV.

Interesting idea though.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:07 PM

I think you're likely to lose anywhere from 25-50 percent of your hands per hour. Maybe even more, the point being you only want to hop on full tables. If you have any kind of decent win rate the hit you take for seeing so many fewer hands will kill your win per hour although spending less in blind money should increase your actual BB/100.

When you factor in leaving juicy tables as soon as you sit at them, spending plenty of time on lousy tables (so as not to drop your hands per hour even further you probably want to jump on the first 9 handed tables you can find) and I think its a massively -ev move.

Your BB per hundred might go up (although I wonder what affect never playing more than seven hands on a juicy table would have), but your hands per hour will plummet way too far.

Having thought about it more, I think losing 25 percent of your hands per hour is too low...its gotta cut it hands seen per hour at least by half and likely much more.

--Zetack
Old 03-14-2005, 05:16 PM

Depend whether you are loosing player or not.

If you are a loosing player its a good idea, as the less the time you spend playing poker the better your expected results.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:00 PM

The following things make this a loosing proposition:

Missing the most valuable button position.

After posting, and then checking, the button and the blinds know you have crap and are still to act after you pre-flop. This never happens to the blinds.

You are not guaranteed to have all 7 players before you take their blinds, one or more can leave at any time.

When you play the BB, sometimes it is folded to you.

If chopping blinds is allowed, then you sometimes do not have to pay either or both blinds.

The above reasons are enough to make me NEVER post. I ALWAYS take the big blind when I am new to a game.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The above reasons are enough to make me NEVER post. I ALWAYS take the big blind when I am new to a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this seems contrary to me as well. If you don't post when you would be in the Co, then you are waiting a whole orbit to play, missing hands all the while. Plus the combination of a cheaper round of hands, and position for your "free" play, makes deliberately not posting in the Co and waiting for the BB a bad idea--unless you have some some other reason which tips the scale like you want to observe the table, you don't feel comfortable yet, Your sugar Mamma hasn't brought over the money for your chips....

--Zetack
Old 03-14-2005, 10:49 PM

i'll usually post from the CO or CO-1 which i see being referred to as the hijack seat. if i come in any earlier than that i'll wait for BB.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:52 PM

Nobody mentioned reads! I'm always real cautious for the first orbit or two, trying to get a feel for the opposition. I don't get into my full game until 5-6 orbits in. Giving up reads and preliminary image-building would be massively EV, I think.

As far as where to come in, I'll post up if I expect to get 3 or more hands before the blind. This is slightly more expensive than optimal, but I think waiting for the blind makes you look too serious. Fish don't read much but I think they do notice things like that (why is that guy not playing?). Of course, I'm talking .50/1 here, at higher limits I would probably be more selective.

Also, I think we need a poll on this second point, when do you post up versus wait for BB.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody mentioned reads!

[/ QUOTE ]

that's because of this assumption made by the OP
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming you always multi table online and play pretty by the book with no knowledge of your opponents

[/ QUOTE ]

although that's a bad assumption to make. of course with reads (or lack thereof from employing this tactic) it would be very -EV
Old 03-15-2005, 12:16 AM

Ooops, missed the assumption. Yeah, I guess I'm still working on reading comprehension, LOL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]