Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 10:26 AM

Default 5/5 Flopped Straight

Playing a pretty aggressive 5/5 game and I get dealt JTo in MP. I limp after one limper and there's 7 to the flop.

The flop comes out 987 with 2 spades, so when it's checked to me, I bet a little over the pot, $40. Too many cards I probably won't like. Next player raises to 140 and it's folded back to me. Does anyone go for the checkraise on the flop? And who pushes? I thought it would give my hand away and plus I'm pretty vulnerable with that board. Oh, I had about 500 and he had me covered. I thought it would give my hand away and plus I'm pretty vulnerable with that board.

At this point, I don't put him on spades, because I don't think he would raise so much with just a draw and 5 people left to act. What's your play when the A of spades hits the turn?
Old 03-23-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: 5/5 Flopped Straight

I like all in. If he is raising with a flush draw then you are getting the best of it if he calls and you are taking down a fairly big pot if he folds. If a pair or spade hits on the turn it makes the turn and river difficult to play. I like a push in this position, but take my advice with a grain of salt because I am new to NL cash.

WACO
Old 03-23-2005, 03:26 PM

pretty standard push here.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:40 PM

Along with all the basic reasons for pushing, remember the metagame implications of not pushing with the nuts on this flop. Some sort of mixed strategy is fine, perhaps best, but not pushing here as a rule is horrible.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing a pretty aggressive 5/5 game and I get dealt JTo in MP. I limp after one limper and there's 7 to the flop.

The flop comes out 987 with 2 spades, so when it's checked to me, I bet a little over the pot, $40. Too many cards I probably won't like. Next player raises to 140 and it's folded back to me. Does anyone go for the checkraise on the flop? And who pushes? I thought it would give my hand away and plus I'm pretty vulnerable with that board. Oh, I had about 500 and he had me covered. I thought it would give my hand away and plus I'm pretty vulnerable with that board.

At this point, I don't put him on spades, because I don't think he would raise so much with just a draw and 5 people left to act. What's your play when the A of spades hits the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to push because:

1) you are OOP
2) there are many cards that kill you action / make it difficult to play the rest of the hand out.

You have the best hand, just get the money in now.