Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Charge ahead until proven wrong

"Charge ahead until proven wrong" - I've given this advice on several hand posts recently, as I really have started to live by it. But I'm not 100% sure it's right - does anybody disagree? And is it a purely .50/1 situation or does it apply at higher limits?

Here's a typical scary hand that a couple months ago I would have slowed down on.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (7 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, SB folds.

River: (10 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 03-15-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Charge ahead until proven wrong

Nice hand. I really like the river bet. Makes them have to make the decision about what you've got. If you just check it then someone is going to have a go at you, (possibly the player who folded to your bet.)
Old 03-15-2005, 10:31 AM

Well played. If he's got the 8 or the 9, be thankful he didn't raise you and charge you an extra bet to see his cards rather than cursing your luck that you lost a pot you thought you had won.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:57 AM

Memphis,

Playing in the games we talk about in here every day, means you are playing people who are too loose and take their hands too far. To paraphrase Ed Miller from SSHE (I dont have the book in front of me right now), you have to relentlessly value bet your hands against weak opponents of the ilk we talk about in here. You played this hand fine. Some Party fish will wait til the turn to raise if they hit trips on the flop (thats their idea of being tricky, even though its incredibly predictable by now), but most of the time you would have gotten raised by the river on this hand if someone had trip anything or the flush. Most likely you are getting called down by a A-x. Good hand.