Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Been asked before, but I still need help (dual monitors, PCI)

Mostly for the computer brains here:

I want to set up dual monitors. My computer is as follows:

eMachines T1096
900 MHZ pentium processor
512 mgb RAM
Running XP home
Congnac+ motherboard
150-watt ATX 1523D powersupply

No AGP slot, but 2 open PCI slots.

What type of card do I need. (Brand names, model #'s would really help).

Will I still be using the original card, or with the PCI have dual heads, and disable the original card?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Nate
Old 03-13-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Been asked before, but I still need help (dual monitors, PCI)

Hi there.

Any PCI video card should allow you to run a second monitor, however a lot will support two monitors by themselves - on-board video can then be disabled, presumably giving you a little extra system RAM.

I would recommend any GeForce card, they have good drivers for multiple monitors, but any ATi with two outputs will also do the job.

Most of the time the two outputs comprise a (normal) 15-Pin VGA connector, suitable for any CRT Monitor / Flat Panel, and a DVI connector. This can be connected directly to a DVI capable Flat Panel, or by using a DVI->VGA adapter used to drive a CRT monitor or flat panel without DVI connection.

I am in the UK, so I can not comment the the quality of NewEgg, but i believe they are a popular supplier of hardware.

This is the cheapest GeForce option I can find, with both a VGA & DVI connector:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...094&depa=1

And this is the search page, listing all PCI video cards they have got:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...rty&DEPA=1

I hope this helps, good luck.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:49 PM

Thanks Dave, it does help. My flat panel is VGA, as the 2001fp is not coming with me (company property, dammit). I want to purchase a second monitor identical to the VGA flat panel, for convenience sake, so is it possible to use 2 VGA monitors with a card such as the GeForce?
Old 03-13-2005, 10:46 PM

You can indeed use two VGA monitors, but you will need a DVI->VGA converter to make use of the second output on most cards. These are often included with retail-box video cards, but not usually with the cheapest available.

I work as a system builder in a small UK "screwdriver shop", so I open ~15 cheap GeForce cards a week, and it is kind of random whether you get a DVI->VGA adapter. some do, some don't. Referring again to newegg, in the Cable/Accessories section of a product description, they seem state if you get an adapter included.

The cheapest I can see that includes an adapter is this one: $59

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...267&depa=1

This is, however a Radeon, and me I prefer nVidia GeForce software. The cheapest GeForce I see that includes the adapter is this one: $68

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...129&depa=1

These are both suitable cards for twin monitors, my preference would be towards the GeForce but either will be all you need to run a pair of TFTs.

Myself, I use a pair of NEC 1760VM flat panels, on a GeForce card. Mmmm, I would love some of dells, 1280x1024 is a bit of a pain with more than 2 tables.

I hope this helps,

Dave.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:53 PM

Jumping in late here and I see all the recommendations for nvidia or ATI cards. Although these are nice cards if you want the BEST for 2d graphics you owe it to yourself to look at Matrox. I love them for 2d, if you also play 3d games just go with nvidia. Matrox packages a DVI -> VGA adapter with every one I've ever opened.