Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Why \'The Sports Guy\' doesn\'t have his own show...

So for the many of you who read Bill Simmons, do you ever wonder why someone who is this witty, funny, and knows so much about his craft is not involved more on ESPN?

If you want an answer, watch his TV spots on some ESPN classic things, and the Top 25 show countdowns. Not only does the guy look like a little boy, but his voice... his voice.... he sounds like a cartoon character. He is clearly the funniest guy on these programs, and he always has a fresh perspective on anything that he participates in, either on TV or his writing columns.

It's really a shame this guy isn't more famous, but if you are working in a sports world, you can't offer us a TV host who will remind us of our children.

I have thought this ever since I first saw him on TV, wondered if anyone else looked at it the same way.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Why \'The Sports Guy\' doesn\'t have his own show...

Regardless of his voice or appearance, he'd be amazing on TV. If they gave him a "Sports Reporters" type of format with some other writers/personalities (maybe some of the other Page 2 writers), I think it'd take off. Of course, maybe Bill will implement this when he owns ESPN6.

He's probably one of the best sports writers there are. I've been following him for easily the last 8 years or so (since back when he was the Boston Sports Guy...anyone else remember that?), and he has only gotten better.

It's almost sad to think that someone as talented as Bill Simmons and a clown like Jackpot Jay write for the same page.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:11 PM

Yeah, but dont you think its pretty obvious the reason after all this time he has never been featured much on ESPN? Not even on coldpizza or anything. He just sounds so... goofy, and yes much much more than most goofy grown men.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:29 PM

Well for those in the Boston market he has been on CBS's Sport Final on Sunday nights with Bob Lobel numerous times. Was there weekly for a span of about 1 1/2-2 years a while back, he always presented himself well there.
~Justin
Old 03-12-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's almost sad to think that someone as talented as Bill Simmons and a clown like Jackpot Jay write for the same page.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still haven't gotten over them hiring Skip Bayless.