Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Dealers Are Incompetant !

So, a hand occured where the bet on the flop was $10, then $25, and another played tried to raise it "$15 more". The dealer said this was an illegal raise, and that the player could raise only to $50, double the raise, and since he hadn't, he can only call.

I of course, corrected him, and he snapped at me, at which time I said "ok ok, let's play poker, deal the turn" and let the hand finish, before calling the floorman over and having him explain the rule to the dealer.

Was this the right way to handle the situation?
Old 03-11-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Dealers Are Incompetant !

Game was $1/$2 NL btw.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:34 PM

were you in the hand?
Old 03-11-2005, 03:34 PM

No. Should that prevent me from making sure the dealer does his job properly?
Old 03-11-2005, 03:39 PM

Kaz, I've actually seen this before. In some rooms the raise has to be at least the amount of the previous bet, not the previous raise. IE: Player A bets 20, B raises to 40, to reraise A must make it 80 to go. No limit rules can be different in different houses. The dealer could have dealt somewhere else.

What's with all the dealer hating in this forum lately? Anyone else realize that thanks to influx of poker players, there are new and inexperienced dealers out there. As well as new card rooms to meet the demand that the players are providing.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:45 PM

I certainly do not hate dealers. I tip, I never insult them or blame them if I lose, and I thank them when I win. I say hello when they sit down and say nice things to them. When they do their job incorrectly, I correct them, because rules should be followed. This was not the rule at this card room.

Again, was this the correct way to handle the situation? Should I have said nothing? Should I have called the floor immediately?
Old 03-11-2005, 03:47 PM

I once brought a 1/2 NL game to a halt when someone raised to 17, I raised to 32, and someone claimed I had to raise to 34. Then I said (kind of arrogantly) "I know the rules, I'm raising to 32". He goes, no it's 34, you have to raise at least 17 more. So I'm like "Whatever, 34, who cares". Then another old guy tells me I don't know what I'm doing (I won two big pots off him) and two other players chime in. There are about 6 players telling me I'm wrong, 2 of them in an insulting manner. Then I call the floor, complain, have all the bets taken back and prove my point. I was already up 3 buy ins and was willing to let it go, but when people started insulting me and telling me how wrong I was I wasn't going quietly. All in all two floorpeople came over and it took 5 minutes. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2005, 03:48 PM

They may be incompetent, but I'll bet they can spell.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:49 PM

You were absolutely correct to call the floorman. If I ever get a question about a pot, bet, or something else (as I am relatively new to the dealing, but not playing aspect), I have NO trouble calling the floor to make the decision. What pisses me off is that they take it out on me when they dont like a floors decision. It's usually their own stupidity that makes me call the floor, but it's always the dealers fault, never the players.

In this case, you were correct to ask for the floorman. Their decision is final though, love it or hate it. I was just a tad disturbed by the "Dealers are Incompetant!" title. One dealer made a mistake, that title just makes it look worse than it really was.

note: There is no mistake a dealer can make that a floor can't fix.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I once brought a 1/2 NL game to a halt when someone raised to 17, I raised to 32, and someone claimed I had to raise to 34. Then I said (kind of arrogantly) "I know the rules, I'm raising to 32". He goes, no it's 34, you have to raise at least 17 more. So I'm like "Whatever, 34, who cares". Then another old guy tells me I don't know what I'm doing (I won two big pots off him) and two other players chime in. There are about 6 players telling me I'm wrong, 2 of them in an insulting manner. Then I call the floor, complain, have all the bets taken back and prove my point. I was already up 3 buy ins and was willing to let it go, but when people started insulting me and telling me how wrong I was I wasn't going quietly. All in all two floorpeople came over and it took 5 minutes. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you put in a good-sized re-raise instead of that min-re-raise crap you wouldn't have had this problem.