Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 02:40 AM

Default this turn raise have any merrit?

opponent in this hand is 50/20/2

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (16.40 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: (9.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: 12.20 BB

Anyone like? At the time I was thinking that I could maybe get him to fold an AK, and if he had an overpair it would be hard for him to 3 bet it here, plus I have outs to his overpair if I'm behind. I was going to showdown with this hand regardless.

Also if he did have AK and wouldnt let it go or something like KQ KJ QJ with a spade, I'd get an extra bet out of him as he may just check the river. Or if he did have an over pair, he likely check/calls if the 4th spade hits, so I get an extra bet out of my hand if I make it.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: this turn raise have any merrit?

if you're intent on showing this hand down i'd rather just call this turn bet because i don't think its true that you won't get 3-bet here by an overpair and he'd never fold a better hand either. the only hands you will fold are hands that you're crushing, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ.

getting 3-bet would suck because you have to call and if you don't hit, how do you feel about showing down your hand now? and it would be a travesty for you to then fold only to find that he was doing this with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or even worse A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

i vote for call down and raise the river if you hit rather than raise this turn.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:00 AM

i def. like the turn raise. u just might get AK to fold and still are drawing live against qq/kk.

furthermore there is a free showdown if you miss.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:29 AM

what makes you think you're not going to get 3-bet on the turn? what makes you think you're going to get a free showdown? what if he folds AQ or KQ to a raise??
Old 03-11-2005, 04:37 AM

I don't get it, if you're ahead you fold out his hand. If you're behind you showdown (which you say you would do regardless) for 2BB at best. If you hit on the river and your outs are good you make 3BB. If you call his turn bet and raise his inevitable river bet if you hit you make the same and don't have to call a 3-bet on the turn.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it, if you're ahead you fold out his hand. If you're behind you showdown (which you say you would do regardless) for 2BB at best. If you hit on the river and your outs are good you make 3BB. If you call his turn bet and raise his inevitable river bet if you hit you make the same and don't have to call a 3-bet on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think he will bet out the river if the 4th spade hits?
Old 03-11-2005, 05:20 AM

Yes and will pay off the raise with AK often.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You were at the table with him , you should know that.

Do you really draw to a flush then check when you hit it???????????????????????????????
Old 03-11-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You were at the table with him , you should know that.

Do you really draw to a flush then check when you hit it???????????????????????????????

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh, I took you off ignore just so I could see what you said, figuring maybe since you were posting in a hand anaysis thread, I'd give you a chance. I was wrong. Your reply doesnt even make sense, did you even read any of the thread?

*puts ignore back on*
Old 03-11-2005, 01:17 PM

At first I really like Alobar's line. Then I read CDC and I think he is right. His pfr of 20 probably means he'll cap with a wider range of hands than normal. That means your probably dominating him a lot here. I also think he'll 3-bet you in a heartbeat with JJ-AA and will release only hands you beat. I think it's better to call and call the river (or bet if checked to) unless you inmprove.

The only thing that might sway me is how likely is it he is pushing a small pair here?

Krishan