Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 02:28 PM

Default dont you love it when......(some content)

you start a session so unbelievably badly it makes you hate poker. your bad play causes you to drop 40bb's over 4 tables in the blink of an eye. then you win 42bb's back over the next10 minutes with a combination of good cards/luck/play. mornings like this make me want to take the rest of the day off. i did learn a thing or two this morning though. when i'm tilting i'll call you with ace high just to see what you called my raise cold with and then check raised me with, and gametime/playerview numbers arent everything. to better illustrate the second point i've posted the following hand.

villian was typical LPP fish. the type that limps with AKs. so typically a 3-bet from one of these types of players means AA or KK. i didnt account for his short stack. meaning he'd been losing and might have been trying to give the rest away.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls $2 (All-In).

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Jh Jc (two pair, jacks and threes).
CO has Kd 9h (one pair, threes).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.75 BB. </font>

i posted this second hand because its my greatest suckout i can remember. in my defense, if villian hadn't slowplayed on such a draw heavy board, i wouldve folded and he wouldve won.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Jd 7c (full house, sevens full of jacks).
UTG has 6s 6c (full house, sixes full of sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins 19.50 BB. </font>

turn check raise good? i wanted to represent a made flush and fold any str8 draws that could beat me.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: dont you love it when......(some content)

hand1: why did you check-call the flop?

I'd check-raise or just raise. I am not liking this check call here. Or the turn. You gonna pay him off? Why raise the river then? Doesn't compute. If you think you're beat on the flop and turn why are you raising the river?

hand2: cool. I love BB special. I like the turn raise.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:38 PM

i cant tell you why i did what i did in hand one. i remember thinking that he only has 1bb left so if i check raise i cant get 3-bet. wierd thinking i know. tilt will do some strange things to ya.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:54 PM

I don't like hand 1 at all. Preflop I would cap, though it's a marginal decision against legitimate re-raisers (which CO, apparantly, was not). Postflop, you don't want CO drawing to cheap overcards. If you're sure CO will lead the flop, check-raise is OK, otherwise you should have taken the lead (the strongest line, but it helps to cap preflop). If CO weren't the worst poker player on earth, he would have seen the river for 1 SB and folded UI.

In general this sort of tricky/passive play, in my experience, tends to miss a lot of value against reasonable play. Never underestimate weak players' passion for seeing all streets and trying to catch your "bluff" with any holding. Look at CO...he called your check-raise with K-high.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:04 PM

against maniacs/lags, JJ is an easy preflop cap even out of position. against a loose passive i dont like the cap at all. typically against this type of opponent your way behind when they three bet. flop and turn play were quite bad though.