Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Jacks....

Hadn't been sitting more than 10 hands. No real reads.

Call me a wuss but this felt bad....

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Button ($267.27)
Hero ($104.6)
BB ($100)
UTG ($99.05)
MP ($33.75)
CO ($150.25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, CO calls $1, Button calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $4.5</font>, BB calls $4, MP calls $4, CO folds, Button calls $4.

Flop: ($21) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $25</font>, MP folds, Button folds, Hero folds.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Jacks....

Don't raise JJ pre-flop out of the blinds. The rest looks pretty standard.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:26 PM

BB probably has you beat. NF.

Lead the flop for more, though. It looks less like a "missed overcards" bet and more like an overpair. That way they will even more clearly define their hands for you.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:28 PM

I was thinking so, too. But in 6-max, wouldn't this be appropriate? I also think a bigger raise is in order if you are going to raise at all.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:28 PM

Nightmare preflop....I might even raise a little more...or limp you got caught in between. Still even with that being said thats about a weak a flop lead as you could have made. Thats how Id bet a flopped set there for god's sake.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:31 PM

I doubt a $10 (half pot) bet into THREE callers looks like missed overcards. No way would I bet AK here on the flop.

But not raising it pf? These PP kids usually make their biggest mistakes preflop, and I feel like I'm missing LOTS of bets if I dont raise it up. With a hand like AK/AQ where i have to play a missed flop out of position 2/3 of the time.... I dont mind just completing. But JJ likes a lot of flops, and I'm quite comfortable with it out of position. I'd love to hear more on this though

-Kings
Old 03-09-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt a $10 (half pot) bet into THREE callers looks like missed overcards. No way would I bet AK here on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, they think that you don't like the flop when you bet small. That's why the weak lead on a flop with a set is so nice.

[ QUOTE ]
But not raising it pf? These PP kids usually make their biggest mistakes preflop, and I feel like I'm missing LOTS of bets if I dont raise it up. With a hand like AK/AQ where i have to play a missed flop out of position 2/3 of the time.... I dont mind just completing. But JJ likes a lot of flops, and I'm quite comfortable with it out of position. I'd love to hear more on this though

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get attached to overpairs. The more I find myself raising, the more I find myself bluffing. OOP is hard to manage, as well.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:41 PM

Betting the flop harder (15-20) sounds like a better plan to define my hand and make a laydown easier if need be, but I still can't get my head around not raising this preflop. Raising more, sure, to $8 or so might make things easier. But I really don't want 4 people seeing an easy way to outflop me.

Maybe if this were $1000 NL then yes, completing would be a fine play, but at party 100 NL I'm just thinking about the $6 raise that ATs would call. I'm open to hear more I just am not sure this is the best spot to play Jacks so passively. Do you guys routinely just complete/check these in the blinds? How do you proceed?