Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 02:52 AM

Default My connection to Party lags a lot

When Party added the new NL tables last week I decided to take advantage of the Feb reload and check out the new action. This was the first time that I had played there in close to one month. I have been having connection problems all week.

What happens is that after one hand ends, the pot gets pushed to the winning player..... and it just stays there. Nothing happens. Eventually the title bar of the window says something like "Internet delay: 12 seconds" ... "14 seconds" and then finally it reconnects and lo and behold, the next hand has already started and everyone is waiting on me to act. This does not happen after every hand. I'd estimate perhaps one out of five hands, although it is random -- sometimes I'll go a while with no problems, then suddenly it will happen eight times in a period of ten hands.

More recently, I've been having disconnection issues in the middle of a hand already in progress. The delays never last more than about 16 seconds, so I've never been timed out during a hand. Perhaps the strangest part is that when I have multiple tables going, I will usually have one or two tables start to lag while the other tables continue to run normally. At one point I was observing a table and it completely froze up for perhaps three minutes. During this time I was watching two other tables and they experienced no delays at all.

Until the past week, I've NEVER had these sort of problems, at any poker site. I use Roadrunner. For the most part my internet has been working fine, with the exception of Partypoker and Hotmail. For some reason, Hotmail's login page will not load for me. After about 10 minutes the login form will finally be available, but most of the rest of the page still never finishes loading. Once I'm logged in though, it works fine. The rest of the internet works fine.

Has anyone else been experiencing these types of problems? Any suggestions?
Old 03-09-2005, 03:02 AM

Default Re: My connection to Party lags a lot

Before you start playing:

Start -> Run -> ping www.yahoo.com -t

Just minimize it and let it run, everytime it lags switch back to window and check to see if it's your internet connection lagging out or Party Poker.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:22 AM

The window closes after three pings.

I very much doubt that the problem is entirely on my end though, since it frequently will only affect one table while the others are still running, and it usually only happens at the conclusion of a hand.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:31 AM

The window closes after 4 pings because you didn't add the
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>-t</pre><hr /> at the end.

But if that's the case I have no idea, some other people have run into the same problem as well. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2005, 03:37 AM

Oops, I missed that part.

I'm not planning on playing anymore tonight, but I'll try that next time.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Before you start playing:

Start -&gt; Run -&gt; ping www.yahoo.com -t

Just minimize it and let it run, everytime it lags switch back to window and check to see if it's your internet connection lagging out or Party Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you read the printout? Is the first number your IP address? I don't think it is because when I did it a second time the number changed. Then it says bytes=32 Time=321ms and TTL=52.

Can you decipher these numbers for me please?

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:43 AM

First number is the IP of the server your pinging.

bytes=32: packet size being sent

time: latency

TTL=48: dunno
Old 03-09-2005, 04:09 AM

32 bytes means that a packet of 32 bytes of data were sent.

Time is the time from when the packet was sent until you received confirmation back that it was received.

TTL is time to live. The number of hops remaining when the packet reaches it's destination.

When a packet is sent, each router that receives it decrements the TTL by one before sending it on to the next router on the way to the packet destination. If TTL = 0 then it is assumed the packet can't reach it's destination and the router discards it. Otherwise malformed addresses and a site being down would result in routers continuously passing around undeliverable packets.

In your case the packet could have gone through up to 52 more stops along the way.

Times of more than 100ms are common with dialup connections. Internet congestion can increase this figure considerably. 320ms isn't good but not that terrible either. 500ms is terrible.

I have cable and my time is usually around 65ms with TTL of 55.

Hope this helps.