Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 10:02 AM

Default Question for a good player: Party 15 30

CO is loose/passive player, BB is aggressive good player.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, CO calls.

River: (15.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19.50 BB

Do anybody fold this river even tho there's quite a bit of money in there?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Question for a good player: Party 15 30

No way... Pot is to big and the hand to good.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:12 PM

Folding the river would be a major mistake. Pot is way, way too big. Way too big. The fact that the CO didnt raise the turn bet, to force your draw out with his "two pair" or "trips", makes it much more likely he is making a move on the river.

I would lead on the flop in this situation, with your holding. If you get raised, call and go for the check-raise if you hit the straight, and you have the back-door flush draw if a heart hits on the turn, as well.

TSP
Old 03-07-2005, 12:21 PM

you played it fine so long as you called the river bet.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:44 PM

You have to call the river - not knowing the outcome I would say given the action on the turn you are chopping the pot - if he made full on the river you have to pay this off (unless you were 96% sure he had the tight - I am never 96% sure about anything at online poker).....
Old 03-07-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Result

I was sure i was beat on the river knowing he is a loose/passive player. Also if he had the same hand as I did, the river would have scared him. and he still raised. He did have QJ off suit. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:03 PM

Fold? I've seen too many bad players raise trip Queens in this spot. I think this is a call-or-raise situation for you.

(Edit: I just now read the results.)
Old 03-08-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Result

So you did call?

[ QUOTE ]
I was sure i was beat on the river..

[/ QUOTE ]
More than 96% sure?
Old 03-08-2005, 05:59 AM

You couldn't pry those cards from me for a $30 raise with those cards. I'd have an online chip protector if there was such a thing. If I had a suspicion the guy had QJ, I wouldn't fold to a raise. I just would simply check-call the river. But it'd have to be a good read. I'm going to bet out nearly every time and I'm going to call when I'm raised every time.

pokerponcho
Old 03-08-2005, 07:14 AM

This is something I think I do too rarely myself in similar spots, but I actually think check-calling is in order here. I even think you collect one bet of any possible worse hands almost as often as if you had bet it yourself (T8 or trip queens will usually bet behind, as could some stone-cold bluffs).

The chance of being raised and having to pay off with the worse hand is just too real here.

lars