Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Trying out .25/.50(low content)

This was my largest ever limit pot in terms of $? Sad, right? :P

I'm underbankrolled for it with about 70 on Stars, but I just had to try it out. This is the BIG game to me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I don't think I can go back to 5c/10c.

Thought I had enough with another player in to cap the river on a rainbow board with the pair of queens.

Interesting post-hand chat as well:

MP2 flips over KJ and says: This site I swear to god
MP2: You are so lucky, I flopped it.
Hero: I'd rather be lucky than good.
MP2: **** you

SB had K7 so they both had the straight but I had the nuts.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, MP2 calls.

River: (17 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 29 BB
Old 03-08-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Trying out .25/.50(low content)

I think I would have raised on the flop. I think you end up splitting this pot with at least on other player.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:48 PM

I dont think so Thigh. Do you see that the board has a 4-straight on it? That means anyone with K suspects that they have the best straight and are splitting it. But I'm collecting all their bets. At least that's what I thought on the turn.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Trying out .25/.50

Hey Dead,

I too took a shot at .25/.5 underbankrolled. It's fine to do that, as long as you are prepared to move down if you run poorly. It's what I call a calculated or "safe" shot. It was great for me b/c I ran REALLY well and soon had a good roll for the level. I hope you run as well at yr new level. The Stars .25/.5 game is tougher than the Party .5/1 game, but you should still be able to beat it. Remember when you get $200 to get that GRANNY bonus at Paradise. The .25/.5 games there are softer than PS too, and you can work off the bonus at the level too.

As for your hand I just call the 3 bet on the river. Capping is not horrible though.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Trying out .25/.50

Thanks for the great advice Greg.
Yeah I am just taking a shot at it. If I get down to $40 or so I'm moving back down to .05/.10.

As for the river, I really thought that my reads were correct. I mean the crazy action on the turn with a board of 9-10-J-Q just told me that the other two players had Kings in their hand. I didn't think it was likely I'd be splitting with AK, because no one re-raised me preflop. And that's a weird ass way to play a set from SB.

So yeah. I think the river cap might still be +EV. But you could be right. And of course the results taint our reasoning.

Nice gutshot. However, you did not have the nuts. 4 queens has the nuts. Also a full house could have beat you. Obviously it didn't, and I wouldn't worry about it too much, but just to be clear... The only reason to atleast consider QQQQ is if someone had QQ, they probably would have stayed in. Although they probably also would have re-raised you pre-flop and played differently throughout...

Peter.

Too bad for MP2 your play was both lucky *and* good.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:52 PM

Pete I know I didn't have the nuts. But I did have the nut straight.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:54 PM

yeah, yeah, I know, just double checking...

relative nuts... nh (I wish my big slicks ended up this good all the time)

what do you call a pair of nuts on a deck of cards...
Old 03-08-2005, 03:57 PM

Yes, I did see the 4 straight. Which is the reason I said that. This just happened to me the other day. I ended up splitting the pot and losing money due to the rake.

So how come everyone here knows the outcome already and I don't? What happened at the end?