Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Table chat-- how would you respond?

I was playing online and, as usual, wasn't chatting much. One guy was a real motormouth, though, and some of the stuff he said was really funny so I eventually joined in the conversation.

Out of the blue (neither of us in the hand at the time), he says he thinks I'm a good player and asks what I think of his play. What do you say to that? I think I just said I hadn't really seen enough to say anything definitive.

I've had similar questions asked of me during live games (the old 'I play well, don't I?' bit) and I always try to find a way to respond without actually answering the question. So far, I've been lucky in that nobody has ever pressed the issue but I'm curious as to what other people say/do when this sort of thing happens (particularly as its almost always very bad players who are asking).
Old 03-03-2005, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Table chat-- how would you respond?

for online play, i wouldnt even take the time to respond. if you are an active chatter however, then give some bs answer like "yah i havent seen you do anything wrong yet."

in live games when im presented with a question like this ill give the sentence above or say something like "yah, youre playing good, youre just catching some terrible cards."
Old 03-04-2005, 02:45 AM

online response:
"I don't see anything wrong with your play"
It isnt a lie if he's terrible since you technically don't see anything wrong with a player giving you his money, and you don't see anything wrong if hes a decent player anyways.

Live response:
"Show me your cards every hand and I'll tell you afterwards."
You usally get a joking response, but after that they won't bug you. However you have to realize that any sucker with the right mindset will try to learn as much as possible while playing. Since he is paying to play, after all. I can vouch for that, I played in games where I've been outmatched (which was very stupid in hindsight) but I still made the best of it and asked for hand advice whenever I could.

You would be surprised how many players are willing to impart their knowledge onto others.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Live response:
"Show me your cards every hand and I'll tell you afterwards."
You usally get a joking response, but after that they won't bug you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw sitting in the 10 seat the other day and some guy started asking me to look at his cards when he mucked them.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:26 AM

Just say something like "yeah this has been a tough table tonight, everyone's playing pretty well."
Old 03-04-2005, 12:27 PM

"Summary without chat"
Old 03-04-2005, 12:37 PM

i meant to see them preflop [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2005, 09:53 PM

I only play in B&M cardrooms, often with some of the losingest fish imaginable.

I frequently say "nice hand" to them after they win a showdown, even if I wasn't involved in the hand. The closer I'm sitting to them, the more likely I'll say it. I do not say it loudly because I don't want anyone, especially the fish to think I'm being facetious or critisizing their play in any way. Often the hand that I'm praising should never have been played in the manner it was, at least judged by 2+2 standards. Of course, the fish won with it.

I think if the poor players are regularly complimented and their play praised that this reinforcement will make them much less likely to ask the question you don't want to lie in response to, but still requires some response on your part. ("Out of the blue (neither of us in the hand at the time), he says he thinks I'm a good player and asks what I think of his play.")

This frequent "nice hand" compliment is easier to accomplish in a B&M setting because your tone of voice and friendly demeanor communicates more than the actual words you say. Online, the recipient is more likely to take it in a spirit you don't want him to, especially if others chime in with obvious sarcastic comments.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Tell the bad player \"yes.\" (no text)

t