Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Completely Unlimited Rebuys and Addons

What would be your strategy concerning how many rebuys and addons to get if they are completely unlimited during the rebuy period, no matter how many chips you have. You can also make as many rebuys as you want during the addon period.

I ask because this tourney exists at 24h Poker. It's called the "Wild West" tournament. For 1 Euro you get 500 chips and you can buy 500 chips for another E1 whenever you want. Theoretically, you could spend E100 immediately and have a 50K stack. I played today-500 entrants and pays 54 places.

As you might suspect, the blind structure is pretty brutal. The rebuy period is 40 minutes with 5 minute levels, starting at 15/30 and going all the way up to 250/500 by level 8. After a 5 minute break for all the E1 addons you want, the tournament continues with 10 minute levels.

My strategy was to make 5 rebuys instantly, play a relatively solid game, and make rebuys to stay ahead of the average stack. I didn't pick up much during the rebuy period and didn't play many hands-as you would suspect, there was a fair amount of gambooling. A lot of players never rebought-about half the field was out by the first break. I made a bunch of add-ons to have about twice the average stack at the break. I'd have to finish in the top 20 to not lose money [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The 2nd hand after break I had pocket queens. A short stack went all-in, another player called, I moved in, and we ended up with 4 players all-in. If I win this hand, I'm in the top 10 but a river ace cripples me. I grind for a bit but get eliminated before the money.

I'm not sure my strategy of buying lots of chips and playing tight was the best idea. Who thinks it might be a better idea to just buy a stack of 1000 or 1500 chips and gambool it up in the first few levels until you build a big stack, similar to how the LAGgier players play the PokerStars rebuy events?

It was kind of fun even with the rather accelerated blind structure. But for a "speed" tournament, I think this is preferable to the joke that is the Party speed tourney (where the most important skill to have is stalling).
Old 03-07-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Completely Unlimited Rebuys and Addons

24h has different buy-ins for these "Wild West" tournaments. They had one this weekend with 0.25 Euro as the buy-in (i.e. every quarter euro bought you 500 chips). I decided that would be fun to play the completely crazy-ass "push with any 2 and rebuy dozens of times" style. I started with 2000 chips (one Euro) and got pocket sevens first hand. Push and get like 5 callers and flop the set. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was a big stack all throughout the rebuy period and took periodic shots at the short stacks (you wouldn't believe how many people tried to play this tourney without rebuys or only buying in for 500 chips at a time). At break I bought 8 addons (2 Euros for 4000 chips).

I ended up 13th and winnning 5 Euros, for a profit of 2 Euros. Obviously, no big money to be won in this tournament, but it's my version of the Daniel Negreanu "Party Day".