Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 02:33 PM

Default My flop aggression numbers are plummeting

Anybody else seeing this in their game? I've had an inkling for a long time that very aggressive play at micros might not be optimal. I spent 15,000 hands with a flop agg around 3.5 and feel like many of my plays were just plain spewing. Over the last 10,000 hands I've calmed down considerably and it has been quite successful.

I'm quite aggressive preflop 10-12% pfr but can go 1000+ hands with a flop agg of 1.5-1.75. I usually like to see it right around 2 but I can find a few instances of 1000 plus hands where I did not quite get it that high.

The funny thing is that I think my flop play has vastly improved from when it was up in the mid 3's. I was reading a post in general that got me think about this....

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&fpart=1

I'm not afraid to bet protect my hand, bet marginal hands or pump draws when appropriate. I just never raise for the hell of it or when I'm in doubt. If I don't have a pretty good reason to raise I don't do it.

I wonder if there is a correlation between pfr%, VP$IP% and flop agg. Due to my pfr% I am in many more HU hands than ever before and I wind up taking many way ahead/ way behind passive lines. Due to my 21% VP$IP I play many drawing hands where I have odds to peel one off but not enough to justify raising (free card plays frequently blow up in my face so I use them sparingly.) especially in a shorthanded situation. I also call-down due to pot size much more than is typical. I love the call/call/raise line when I think I'm ahead.

Am I missing something? I hate looking at my stats and thinking that I might be too passive but I really like where my game is at and I can't think of many times when I've lost pots I could have won. I guess I'm looking for confirmation that this can indeed by a winning formula or advice as to what I should gaurd against to keep these numbers up.

My turn and river aggs are always around 2-2.3
Old 03-04-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: My flop aggression numbers are plummeting

I don't think theres anything wrong with that. I'm mantaining +4BB/100 at Party .5/1 over 20k hands and my flop aggro # is only at 2.5. I think the reason it could be falling is that tighter tables mean less chances to pump draws. Instead we end up calling more with our draws. Just a theory though. I think Party's a lot less looser during bonuses and Party is having a lot of bonuses.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:01 PM

I've wondered how people can get to such a high level without spewing some chips here and there. My post flop ag numbers range from 2.0 to 2.5. My flop number occasionally dips below two for a couple hundred hands. I'm working on it (learning to recognize good raising situations) but don't always raise for the sake of raising.

Short answer, I think your observation is correct.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:02 PM

My aggression numbers are high but because I think I fold too much.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:06 PM

I was in a similiar situation when I moved up to 1/2 and was being way too aggro. I calmed down, and now have an aggression of about 2.5. And my winrate has increased considerably since I've slowed down. This seems like a good number against the tight-passives at Party 1/2.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:06 PM

mine is about 2.8 at times i feel im a little overagressive, but for the most part i think its ok