Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 06:38 AM

Default Comfort me

Second hand at table; no previous reads.

This one was tough and almost surely misplayed on every street but preflop.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 folds.

River: (11.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB
Old 02-28-2005, 06:42 AM

Default Re: Comfort me

After the flop gets capped I think you are behind 90%+ of the time. I'd slow right down, don't see any reason to bet the turn, and I don't think you have a value bet on the river.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:43 AM

Check/call turn with my flush draw and two pair/trip outs and fold river UI?
Old 02-28-2005, 06:45 AM

Yes, although the pot will be so big on the river that calling won't be that big a mistake I think. Depends if it is heads up.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:46 AM

Is 3-betting this flop SOP? Anyway once it gets capped you have to think you're behind, probably to a set.

I would have check/called the turn, you certainly can't fold to a raise and you want to see the river as cheaply as possible.

The river...well I wouldn't have bet. Either check/call or check/fold. The pot's pretty big but I think you are almost always behind here, I'm probably check/folding.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Is 3-betting this flop SOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know; I was hoping someone else would.

[ QUOTE ]
I would have check/called the turn, you certainly can't fold to a raise and you want to see the river as cheaply as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn bluff/semibluff bad?
Old 02-28-2005, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know; I was hoping someone else would.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think you have any folding equity vs. 2 opponents after a capped flop?
Old 02-28-2005, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah man after he caps the flop he's going to a showdown just about always. Getting raised here sucks hugely because you can't fold so I think check/call is best.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know; I was hoping someone else would

[/ QUOTE ]

Any thoughts on the flop play?

[ QUOTE ]

Do you really think you have any folding equity vs. 2 opponents after a capped flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I had some; I was just as much an aggressor on the flop as UTG. And I wasn't concerned with MP2 since he seemed to just be along for the ride.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:08 AM

Well the thing about the flop 3-bet is if UTG caps you're pretty much drawing. So I think the information you get from it allows you to check the turn without worrying about giving a worse hand a free card, and in fact if you hadn't picked up the FD on the turn then folding would be correct IMO. Pot's pretty big and you have odds to draw to two pair/trips but you are dead to a set and that's his most likely hand once he caps the flop (or some stupid straight and you're dead to that too). However, you're really not getting anyone to fold here (MP2 is seeing the turn card for sure) and you're increasing the chance MP2 will see the river if he has a gutshot by bloating the pot. But if you don't 3-bet the flop you probably should bet the turn (so as to avoid giving a free card) but you really don't want to be raised on the turn since you picked up your second nut flush draw. But we don't know you picked up the flush draw so we are pretty much betting the turn if we don't 3-bet the flop. Because our pair is so low we sure can't give free cards esp. since the pot is fairly large now.

So I think the 3-bet is probably for the best, but you have to use the information it bought you and not bet the turn.