Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Pair of Ace go down to straight

Hey guys, here's my first hand post. I'm having difficulty knowing when to fold these high pairs and when to take them to the river so here is a good example of one.

Absolute Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 7s As (one pair, aces).
Button has Kc Qs (straight, ace high).
Outcome: Button wins 8.50 BB. </font>
Old 02-25-2005, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Pair of Ace go down to straight

First off, don't put the results in when you post a hand if you want the best advice, and definitely don't put the results in the title. Putting the results in can skew the advice and skew your reaction to it - it doesn't matter what happened in this one hand or whether the given advice would have changed the results of this hand - what matters is what line of play produces the best results over the next 100 hands like this. Just say "not sure when to fold high cards" and don't post anything after you fold, if you fold during the hand.

Okay, here, I think I would fold on the flop after his raise. My reason is that AA with a 7 kicker is not that strong. I would be far more afraid that he has an ace than I'd be worried about a straight. There are 2 other A's out there, and 7 is a bad kicker. You generally need a T or higher to think about staying in here, and a Q or K to feel comfortable about it.

On the other hand, if I were somehow to able to guess that he had KQ, I would have reraised him on the flop. If he really believes you have an A, his bet is a bad one. He needs a T or 2 Ks or Qs to beat you, so he has maybe 4.5 outs (roughly 10% probability of hitting), but he's betting 2 for a pot of 6 SB. Really bad odds.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:36 AM

don't post results or reference them in the topic, respond to hands you learn more

anyway

I fold the turn, the pot is pretty small, you are only getting 6.5/2 if you call down
Old 02-25-2005, 01:47 AM

Thanks guys, I tried to go back and edit the post but it won't let me.

I can't remember how this particular player played but the whole table was pretty loose. My game is far too tight preflop and postflop. I consider myself weak tight, trying to be more aggresive but at the wrong times it seems
Old 02-25-2005, 01:49 AM

Being weak-tight is just fine when you start out. Yes, you'll have growing pains when trying to add aggression, just take it slow and make sure you learn from your mistakes as you go.