Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 01:51 AM

Default GRRRRR!!!!

THE RIVER IS MY ENEMY!!! I LOST THREE VERY LARGE POTS TO SOME ONE OUT DRAW ON THE RIVER ON PP. WHY DOESN'T THE RIVER EVERY BENEFIT GOOD PLAYERS?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Re: GRRRRR!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
WHY DOESN'T THE RIVER EVERY BENEFIT GOOD PLAYERS?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to make hasty generalizations, but this post leads me to believe that you are not in the aforementioned category.

rivers happen. You should love the fact that your opponents stayed with you to draw to that 1-outer.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:31 AM

I know rivers happen. I was just venting. I've had quite an ugly run of cards the past few days and would like to see things change. and when I asked why the river never seems to benefit good players, I wasn't implying that I'm a world champion, but when you've taken the time to do the math it sucks to lose the money that way.

P.S. I meant "every" to be ever.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:06 AM

consider urself lucky...i have lost over 100BB this month to people "rivering" me ALONE (yes ive roughly kept track of this) - itll even out in the end somehow so no worries!! - 3 "big" pots arent gonna make a difference!
Old 02-24-2005, 05:28 AM

Both of you guys suck at poker.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:27 AM

I'll try to answer this without the standard "You suck, you stupid fish" response.

The reason good players rarely river bad players by hitting there crazy draws is a good player is not going to be calling to the river hoping to hit his two outer.

You asked "Why doesn't the river ever benefit good players?" While it does all the time you just over look it.

If we get theoretical, assume you have:
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Your opponent has:
8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

The boards is:
2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

If the river is a 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] did the river not just benifit you the good player.

The river can only do two things, benefit or hurt your hand. The river may not always benefit your hand by making it better but it will benefit you when it doesn't make your opponents hand better either.

If you can't look at it that way and you really want to learn the secret to getting the miracle card on the river I'll tell you. For the next 1000 hands play any two cards to the river and I guarantee you will river those other suckers at least 10 times, the river will finally be your friend. You will lose alot of money but you will finally be happy, right?

Dopey [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you can't look at it that way and you really want to learn the secret to getting the miracle card on the river I'll tell you. For the next 1000 hands play any two cards to the river and I guarantee you will river those other suckers at least 10 times, the river will finally be your friend. You will lose alot of money but you will finally be happy, right?

Dopey [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i find it very theraupuetic(horrible spelling) to hit the .05/.1 and just try and draw out on everyone the whole time after a very long hard session of bad beats

makes me happy to hit my huge runner runners everyonce in a while [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2005, 12:05 AM

As posted before, you should be happy you're playing opponents who are willing to throw in their money to chase those miracle one-outers. The other 98% of the time you take their cold cash easy. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]